ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR success at Sheffield PEO - 01/06/2011

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kshahzad
Newly Registered

ILR success at Sheffield PEO - 01/06/2011

Post by kshahzad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Because this forum has been helpful in obtaining immigration related information, I want to share my experience of applying for ILR at Sheffield today.

Background:
I was applying under work permit, after spending 5 years of qualifying period. Obtained the original permit in end of June 2006, and was eligible to apply in the end of May 2011.

I was one of those people who got affected by subsequent rule changes - first when qualifying period got changed from 4 to 5 years, and then when HO stopped accepting time spent on SEGS/PSW to be counted towards the qualifying period. Anyway, reached there at the end.

I had been working for the same employer who initially sponsored me.

Potential Issues:
There were a few things I was concerned about, for which I couldn't get a concrete yes or no answer to:
  • My salary was initially below the minimum wage for the closest match to my job description, as set by the codes of practice. Coincidentally, I got a performance related pay rise which took effect from 1st of May. So, when I applied, I had only one pay slip to show that my current salary is above the minimum limit. The previous pay slips were showing lower salary. To provide additional proof, I also got a transaction print out from the bank and got them to stamp it (they said that they have stopped authenticating statements, but upon insisting, the person at the till put a stamp showing the date etc.--which I thought was better than nothing).

My employer had not informed HO of pay rises they had given me since I got the work permit. I checked the requirements of Technical change form which were not very clear on pay rise requirements. It could be argued if need be that pay rise was not specific to me, but for other employees as well. But I got the benefit of doubt I think, or may be it was not very important - at least not in my case, as the average pay rise over 5 years was at the rate of about 7% per year.

My wife, because of her nationality, had a police registration certificate, which we had not updated because of negligence. Only when we realised it is important, we got it updated with correct addresses and visas etc. Police obviously put a warning stamp because of late registration of details. So, I had my wife do a covering letter to explain the situation.

My appointment was on 1st of June, and the visa was valid until 28th of June. I was initially unsure about whether it is the 27th day or the 28th day before the expiry. Upon calling IEB, they informed me that I can apply on 31st of May at the earliest, so I cancelled the other appointment I had taken the following day!
Supporting documents submitted:
  • Employer letters (job offer letter, original contract, pay rise notification 1, pay rise notification 2, letter with relevant SOC code)

Covering letters (one from me explaining the pay rise situation and referring the relevant immigration rules from Section 5, second from my wife explaining why she has been negligent in getting police registration certificate updated in time)

6 month's pay slips

6 month's bank statements + 1 recent transaction sheet (stamped)

Cohabitation documents (joint mortgage statements covering past 20 months, letters from conveyancing solicitor, surveyor, property valuation etc, marriage certificate, wife's bank statements covering more than last 2 year period)

Child's UK birth certificate + certified copy of entry in birth register

Life in UK test pass notifications
Experience on the day:
We reached an hour before the appointment time, parked at the Q-park which is opposite the HO building. Passed through security, went to reception. After checking our appointment, the lady gave us a ticket number. I was called to submit the documents after about 10 minutes. The lady at the counter asked me to hand over the application form. She made quick checks to ensure I have filled it correctly and signed it etc. I had a thick ring binder with supporting documents and everything else you can imagine in it. She commented on that and asked me to submit the originals only, not photocopies. I think they would not have fit in the small envelope she had! She made a note on the front page of her sheet that copies are available but not included. I was then asked to pay the fee and wait for my number to be called. After waiting for about 30 minutes, I was called by the caseworker who informed me that she will be dealing with my case and that it will take about 45 minutes. She said that in the meanwhile if she needs additional information, she will give me a shout. I then sat down and waited..then waited..and then waited a bit more...it was taking more than 45 minutes..and then an hour passed. When my number was called again, the caseworker informed me that the application has been successful and that she has sent our passports to put visa vignette. What a sigh of relief that was! I guess the extra 15 minutes they took might be because of the re-photocopying of documents they might be doing! (of which I already had copies -- it would have been at least 2 trees wasted!)
    Right, now it is time to collate information on whatever benefit and tax credit I can get and open my account with Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs :D

smaganti

Post by smaganti » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:45 pm

congratulations...

kshahzad
    Newly Registered

Post by kshahzad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:14 pm

smaganti wrote:congratulations...
    Thanks smaganti...and to everyone else who maintain, participate in and moderate this forum!

genious

Post by genious » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:32 pm

congratulations !

unfortunately my salary is below the COS code which is closely matching my job role. bit worried now. other wise i would be applying in july.

thanks.

kshahzad
    Newly Registered

Post by kshahzad » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:25 am

genious wrote:congratulations !

unfortunately my salary is below the COS code which is closely matching my job role. bit worried now. other wise i would be applying in july.

thanks.
    If you say it closely matches, can you find another SOC code that also matches all or part of your job description and also has a lower salary threshold? If you can justify it and get your employer to mention that in the letter and show the corresponding amount credited to your account, then that should do it I think.

Otherwise, explain the situation to your employer and if they really need you, they will have to give you a payrise. Start getting things sorted while there is still time.

hsmpengineer
    Mood:
    Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Congratulations!!

Please can you let us know under what route you qualified for ILR. I see you have mentioned having a Work Permit and also mentioned you were one of those who lost out when SEGS was taken off the settlement route. Were you ever a SEGS participant?? Thanks in advance!

kshahzad
    Newly Registered

Post by kshahzad » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:51 pm

hsmpengineer wrote:Congratulations!!

Please can you let us know under what route you qualified for ILR. I see you have mentioned having a Work Permit and also mentioned you were one of those who lost out when SEGS was taken off the settlement route. Were you ever a SEGS participant?? Thanks in advance!
    I was on SEGS for a few months, but did not count that period to qualify for ILR, which was based entirely on time spent as a work permit holder.