ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dublin Airport Transit Question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

smp10484
Newly Registered

Dublin Airport Transit Question

Post by smp10484 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi,

My girlfriend is from Peru. She has a Schengen visa and we are going to be travelling to Poland with RyanAir. We arrive to Dublin at 8pm from the US via London. Our flight is not until 6am the next morning. I would prefer not to have to get her another visa. Would we be ok if we just stay in the airport overnight? Any possibility she could leave the airport? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fatty patty

Re: Dublin Airport Transit Question

Post by fatty patty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:08 pm

smp10484 wrote:Hi,

My girlfriend is from Peru. She has a Schengen visa and we are going to be travelling to Poland with RyanAir. We arrive to Dublin at 8pm from the US via London. Our flight is not until 6am the next morning. I would prefer not to have to get her another visa. Would we be ok if we just stay in the airport overnight? Any possibility she could leave the airport? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What is your purpose for coming to Dublin via London? Reason i asked is that it would be alot easier if you have flown to Poland from London. Problem is that since your girl friend is from Peru she has to show her visa at ryanair check in desk, she can not board the plane without having her boarding card stamped.

To get your boarding pass stamped you have to be in the check in area which is technically pass the immigration control area meaning that when you arrive in dublin you have to pass immigration to get to check in desks. (also to note ryanair is not a connection airline but a point to point one...immigration officer might question that). My advise since its ryanair its better to get the visa, if you had a continous ticket then it would have been no bother for e.g. NEW YORK/LONDON/DUBLIN/KRAKOW issued by one airline or ticket agent.

smp10484
Newly Registered

Post by smp10484 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:05 am

We just wanted to get to Europe the cheapest way and that was the flight to Dublin via London. Would it be better to use Aer Lingus instead of Ryan Air? We would still need to be in the airport overnight.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:33 am

Its the same thing. you still have to make your way to check in desks to get your boarding pass and also claim your baggage to get to poland and that is through immigration control in dublin airport. i meant "suggest" not "advise" in my earlier post. are you an EU citizen? if not i strongly suggest that your GF apply for visa, if other posters would like to add/suggest.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:24 am

Hi smp10484,

sorry for being the messenger, but your itinerary contains multiple problems:

From what I gather
  • you are in the US now, and
  • want to travel via London
  • and Dublin
  • to Poland.
The only visa your Peruanian girlfriend has is a Schengen visa.

You will need a proper Irish visa - not just a transit visa.

You can start to read about it here:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvis ... vnationals
Transiting to the Republic of Ireland

Passengers must pass through immigration control in order to take a flight to Ireland. Visa nationals (and passengers qualifying for DATV exemption above) may Transit without Visa providing they fulfil the TWOV conditions and are properly documented for entry into Ireland.

DATV nationals transiting to Ireland must obtain a visit visa - not a Visitor in Transit visa which is only for transit to a destination outside the Common Travel Area (Rules HC395 paragraph 47 refers).

All visa nationals wishing to transit the UK but spend longer doing so than the 24 hours permitted under the TWOV concession must obtain a visitor in transit visa for stays up to 48 hours or a visit visa.
Furthermore you´d need a "normal" Irish visa, as you will have to clear immigration, collect your bags and re-check-in in Dublin, as Ryanair does not provide any sort of check-through, not within the Ryanair-network, and certainly not in cooperation with other airlines.

I.e. technically you will have to leave the transit-area.

If you really want to travel as per above itinerary, you will need a "normal" Irish visitor Visa. You would probably -not- neet a UK visa, but this is only due to the fact that the UK will deem you transiting to Ireland (not Poland).

I guess going from the US directly to Schengen, transiting anywhere but the UK and/or Ireland, would be a lot easier!

Good luck, and whatever route you go please give feedback to the forum on what you decide to do and how it goes!!

smp10484
Newly Registered

Post by smp10484 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi All,

Thank you for the feedback. It is much appreciated. Yes, I am a US Citizen and she is a permanent US resident. The reason we would prefer not to get an Irish Visa is that it has been a nightmare dealing with the Irish Consulate here in Boston so far. They will not set up an appointment for her to come in and present her documentation even though we live just 5 minutes away. They want her to mail in her passport, etc. This is not an option since she travels weekly to Canada for her work.

We arrive at Dublin at 8pm via BMI. We will only have hand luggage. We are totally open to going anywhere in the Schengen area initially and not just Poland. If I was to book a flight on Aer Lingus to lets say Amsterdam that departs at 6am and we check in online and print our boarding passes will that still raise issues?

Again any advice is appreciated!

Thank You

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:24 pm

smp10484 wrote:We arrive at Dublin at 8pm via BMI.
Hi smp10484,

as it stands I´m pretty sure that, without an Irish visa, you will not arrive to Dublin. At least not from London.

So to answer your question:
smp10484 wrote:If I was to book a flight on Aer Lingus to lets say Amsterdam that departs at 6am and we check in online and print our boarding passes will that still raise issues?
the following counterquestion has to be asked first:

What is your overall planned itineray?
  • (still) Boston - London - Dublin - Schengen (Amsterdam/Poland)
  • or United States - Dublin - Schengen (changing in Dublin ONLY)
I would still strongly suggest you get a flight as follows:
  • Boston - Schengen (anywhere) - your final destination in Poland
smp10484 wrote:The reason we would prefer not to get an Irish Visa is that it has been a nightmare dealing with the Irish Consulate here in Boston so far.
Dealing with Irish embassies is not much fun. Same for most Schengen-embassies that I had to deal with so far.

atkin
Newly Registered

Post by atkin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:26 am

Check this link http://www.immigrationboards.com/irelan ... 79416.html

I am not sure how correct this is ??

What you are saying is that if you are not a transit visa required national you still require a visitor c visa to transit as you pass immigration. Dublin does not have a closed transit area.