ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is an Irish "visa warning"? (family of EEA)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

What is an Irish "visa warning"? (family of EEA)

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:12 am

When you enter Ireland, it is possible to get a "visa warning". It is mentioned in the context of having an EEA family member visa but not traveling with the family member. ( http://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Ago ... warning%22 brings up only two documents, which have no policy details )

But what is it exactly? Is it a rule from the DOJ or from the Garda (who are actually at the airport stamping things)? Does Garda make up any of the rules, or do they just enforce them for DOJ?

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: What is an Irish "visa warning" and who create

Post by ca.funke » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi Directive/2004/38/EC,

one of the websites found there has outdated info on it:

[quote="Frequently Asked Questions about Visas and Working Holiday Authorisations"]5. I am the family member of an EU national and resident in the UK: do I need a visa to travel to Ireland?

Yes. Check the “Who needs a visaâ€

acme4242

Re: What is an Irish "visa warning" and who create

Post by acme4242 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 pm

[quote="ca.funke"]Hi Directive/2004/38/EC,

one of the websites found there has outdated info on it:

[quote="Frequently Asked Questions about Visas and Working Holiday Authorisations"]5. I am the family member of an EU national and resident in the UK: do I need a visa to travel to Ireland?

Yes. Check the “Who needs a visaâ€

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 pm

You lovely people are so sweet!

Ok, back to the topic at hand: Visa Warning

Who would I ask for more information about this? Is it a Garda rule, and so I should ask them? Or is it a DOJ rule and so I must ask them, even though it is the Garda who implement it?

I note that Garda are generally exempt from Freedom of Information requests.

villim
Newly Registered

Post by villim » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:32 pm

It's almost definitely a note in your passport (a stamp, or some scribbles). Basically, a note to say that you've been slightly bold, and shouldn't do that sorta thing again. In this case, it means that the terms of the visa were violated ("must be accompanied by the spouse"), but entry was allowed anyway.

It's probably explained in the internal GNIB procedures; those would be set by the DOJ ultimately.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:44 pm

villim wrote:Basically, a note to say that you've been slightly bold, and shouldn't do that sorta thing again.
Or slightly cheeky.

Could I ask where you learned this about Visa Warnings?

Interesting also that they would "threaten" to issue a (paper tiger) visa warning rather than threaten to turn the person away at the border, which they could in some cases.