ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit submitted in Dusseldorf 20 May

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

NervousNelly
Newly Registered

EEA family permit submitted in Dusseldorf 20 May

Post by NervousNelly » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:05 pm

First off, I would like to express how much I appreciate the existence of this forum. I've been reading through it for advice for the past week.

Here is a description of my situation: I am American of Arabic descent (with an Arabic last name) married to a German, and we live in the Netherlands. We have been married for nearly 4 years. We have decided to move to the UK. He is a computer programmer and I'm an academic. We are leaving the Netherlands before 1 July.

I submitted my EEA family permit in Dusseldorf on 20 May. I submitted:
1) an application form
2) my passport
3) a copy of my Dutch residence permit
4) marriage certificate in Dutch - original
5) my job contracts in the Netherlands- originals
6) 6 months of my bank statements
7) 6 months of my pay slips
8) a copy of my husband's passport
9) 6 months of his bank statement
10) 6 months of his pay slips

On 25 May, someone from the UKBA, not an ECO, but an application checker, called me about my husband's job in the Netherlands. I told him that he would be leaving his job but most likely would be able to serve as a consultant for this company after we moved to the UK. The application checker then asked me if my husband would be self-employed. I said yes.

Since then, I have not heard anything. I have tracked my application and it only states "Arrived at Visa Section." I'm very anxious because I am waiting to buy plane tickets and make plans until I receive my passport back.

Reading through the forums, I am concerned that I did not provide enough information. I simply filled out the application and then provided documents from the list of supporting documents on the UK Border Agency website. I did not provide a letter from my husband stating that he will be traveling with me (he will be, btw), I just noted it in the application.

Furthermore, I stated that we plan to be in the UK for five years. Based on the forums, this seems to be a mistake. It seems that I should have written 3 months. I am also wondering if I said something wrong on the phone. I don't know for what exactly they were checking.

Thirdly, I'm wondering at what point do I need to demand that they escalate my application? Some people have written that they have done so when the processing times on the website were exceeded. Does it make sense to do so now--including holidays (May 27, May 30, and June 2), its been 7 working days since I submitted my application in Dusseldorf. Or shall I wait until they have exceeded the processing times?
Who do I contact to escalate my application? The UKBA website is a bit opaque on these matters.

Lastly, at a certain point, I will have to demand that they return my original documents whether or not they have made a decision in order to to make travel plans and deal with other important bureaucratic matters. We have given up our apartment as of 1 July and need to leave the Netherlands before this date. Does anyone have experience with getting their documents back BEFORE the ECO has made a decision? Who do I contact? How does this work?

I would appreciate any advice or assistance that anyone can offer to answer my questions.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:33 am

Relax. Breath deeply. And repeat!
Reading through the forums, I am concerned that I did not provide enough information.
I would say the opposite. You provided far too much. You did not need to provide any information about your job or your husband's job or how much money you have in the bank or what you intend to do in the UK.

You did need to provide two passports, one marriage certificate, and a letter that says you will be traveling together. That is all.

You should follow up with them soon if you have not heard.

NervousNelly
Newly Registered

Post by NervousNelly » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks for the advice. My question is: who do I contact? Worldbridge? UKBA? If its UKBA, do you have a telephone number or an email address? I would appreciate any help that you can offer.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:51 am

NervousNelly wrote:Thanks for the advice. My question is: who do I contact? Worldbridge? UKBA? If its UKBA, do you have a telephone number or an email address? I would appreciate any help that you can offer.
Call both!

Check on the embassy web site for the embassy contacts.

NervousNelly
Newly Registered

update re: EEA family permit

Post by NervousNelly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I received my EEA family permit today. Just to review, I submitted my documents to the Dusseldorf Worldbridge Office on 20 May and its now June 10th. Its 15 business days, minus 3 holidays, so I think it took a total of 13 days from submission to receipt.

My partner is going to submit a complaint regarding the requirement to submit one's passport for weeks (and in other cases, months) at a time, since as an EU citizen, he has the right to have his partner reside with him in an EU country. Furthermore, this retention of my passport has delayed a number of my plans and severely limited my movement. Lastly, the requirement that non-EU residents of the Netherlands have to submit their documents in Germany is absurd. If I had been caught in Germany with only my Dutch residence permit, I would have been fined at minimum and detained in a worse case scenario. The privatization of visa services of the UK is a disaster.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: update re: EEA family permit

Post by Jambo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm a bit confused.
NervousNelly wrote:... so I think it took a total of 13 days from submission to receipt.
... the requirement to submit one's passport for weeks (and in other cases, months) at a time...
You are going to complain that it took 13 days? or to complain on behalf of other people?

NervousNelly
Newly Registered

Post by NervousNelly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm going to complain on principle of retaining one's passport for a permit that is not actually necessary.

fairouznacer
Newly Registered

Post by fairouznacer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:13 pm

How come my husband didnt get his visa yet then? I live in the UK am a dutch national and I have provided all they asked for.

Why the hell they take so long? I have complaints at worldbridge in algiers and a big complaint at the UKBA what can I do? I see everyone received the visa before him while they applied AFTER him.

He applied 20 march 2011 and we havent heard A THING since then. Could anyone help me out?

nawoi94
Newly Registered

Post by nawoi94 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:06 pm

hi, I am curretnly living in Dusseldorf and working.
I am Japanese and planning to get married with EEA national next year
and go back to UK holding EEA family permit.

well, all I can comment is it is quite fast as UK visa application. and you are lucky, you got visa in about 2 weeks!!
I think that visa is valid 6months, isnt it??
as soon as you enter into UK, you have to apply "residence card" as
EEA family member. it will valid max 5years.
THIS will take probably appros 6months if it is worst. (or even more!).
during they keep your passport, you can not fly or travel anywhere.
(if you really need, you can request them to return back it as temporary)

about partner's ID, I think you could also submit his national ID card instead of Passport, (I suppose if the docs not in ENG, you gotta to submit also official translation.)

as UK border agency advising us on their website,
it is better not to book your flight, or other future arrangement.
we never know how long it will be.
that is how UK border treat the applicants who intend to live long-term.
you may also see it at immigration, usually their attitude is with nasty & uncomfortable questions in a way.

As you know, UK is getting very very strict toward immigrants in these years, trying to restrict further immigrants as much as they can.
I know it is pain on butts, but I think in your case (13days) was quite good by seeing from my experience.