ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Verification of documents in foreign countries

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

suarezi
Newly Registered

Verification of documents in foreign countries

Post by suarezi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:14 am

All

I hope someone can give some guidance, I have appliead for FLR(M) as unmarried partner, we attended the PEO, I have previously been married, separated since 2005 and divorce on going since 2009, slowly as my wife is not cooperating. She is in ym home country, I came to the UK on a tier 2 work permit prior to 2008.

The caseworker asked for divorce proceedings with translation to demonstrate that I am getting divorced, I did provide them, now he has "send them" to my home country for the british embassy to verify them with the authorities. I think this is excesive and unnecesary, let alone delaying my application.

Has anyone been in this situation or knows anything? the PEO team says that they do not know how long it will take? I am really upset as I think the caseworker did not have a valid reason to do this verification and I think I will log a complaint, however first I want this to be resolved.

any thoughts, guidance will be greatly appreciated

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 am

This seems strange as Unmarried Partner Visas were originally introduced for couples from countries where divorce was unlawful.

suarezi
Newly Registered

Post by suarezi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 am

casa

divorce is legal in my home country, but a lenghtly process as my wife is as cooperative as you can imagine, it took us 1 year to "legaly" trace her. the caseworker and his manager have agreed that accoridng to the rules and IDI the relationship has permanently broken down, however now they need to verify the evidence that I show for the divorce is real, and they have "sent them" to the high commision in New york and they will forward it to the british embassy in my home country... but noone knows anything...

I have asked them what grounds they have to doubt the veracity of the documents and they said it's standard procedure, although they admit they don't do it very often

anyone has been in a similar situation

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:25 pm

You misunderstood. I was attempting to explain that originally the option to apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa was for those who were already married and unable to divorce and it was later extended to those who chose not to marry but were living together (as you are) in a relationship 'akin to marriage'...which in my opinion, doesn't make any sense to make time-consuming checks to confirm that your divorce is going ahead. Being divorced, isn't a compulsory condition to being granted a UPV.

suarezi
Newly Registered

Post by suarezi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Oh, I see, my braincells are too busy worrying and didn't pay attention to the text...

I agree with you, however the caseworker wont give in. We have already contacted the office of our MP, we want them to be aware of this and on board with us from start, I hope this gets resolved but UKBA working in collaboration with my home country goverment is a recipe for disaster, I would need to wait several years before anything happens, and the cost of this investigation would be absolutely huge when the UKBA is suposed to be reducing costs!!!

ultimately, it leaves the bitter sensation that when one tries to do everything in a correct lawful way, the system kicks back and makes everything complicated...

any other comments, experience?