ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

family name issue

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

siamsteve

family name issue

Post by siamsteve » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:48 pm

HI

I am a UK Citizen living in London and married to a Filippino wife with three children who are all under the age of sixteen my wife and children were granted ILR about a month ago now.

Even though my wife has my family name and uses it for everything the three children still have her family name but not the father as they were never married the father also signed a legal document in the philippines ceding all say to my wife and has no legal say in what my wife and three children do for which i am very happy about.

I want to know as being a stepfather what do i need to do now to change the kids name from their mothers old family name to my family name? I'm worried its going to be an expensive process as i'm only the stepfather my wife and I want this to happen do i need to contact the local council where i live and apply or can this be done through deep poll?

Any info would be a great help

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Your wife needs to sign a Statutory Declaration changing her children's surname. A simple procedure which should not cost very much.

Suggest you get quotes from three local firms of Solicitors, to prepare the needed Statutory Declaration and to get it signed.

Your local Council is not involved, but after the change has been made, notify the change to, for example, the Child Benefits Office and the Tax Credits Office. And schools? Whose surname are they registered under at school?
John