ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit/Child Tax Credit Question

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wasiter

Child Benefit/Child Tax Credit Question

Post by wasiter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi all,

I just had a baby a week before.. I have a quick question about the benefits/tax credits...

Iam a natur british and my wife is still holding indian passport (expectng ILR in 2 mnths)... and i work in a Investment bank & my pay is 65,000£ and my wife's pay is around £25K..

My questions are:

1: Is my child eligible for child benefit? If not, why?
2: Also, am i or my wife is eiligible for child tax credit?

im not desperate for money..still, want to know if there are any benefits that can claim..

ALso, if i or my wife claim tax benefits... will it affect my wife's ILR?

Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Child Benefit/Child Tax Credit Question

Post by Greenie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:56 pm

wasiter wrote:Hi all,

I just had a baby a week before.. I have a quick question about the benefits/tax credits...

Iam a natur british and my wife is still holding indian passport (expectng ILR in 2 mnths)... and i work in a Investment bank & my pay is 65,000£ and my wife's pay is around £25K..

My questions are:

im not desperate for money..still, want to know if there are any benefits that can claim..

Thanks
it's your status which is relevent to whether you can claim child benefit, not your childs. if you look around the forum you will see that your questions are asked (and answered) regularly.

I doubt you would get child tax credit on an income of £65,000

wasiter

Re: Child Benefit/Child Tax Credit Question

Post by wasiter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks..when you say status means ..I take wheather im a british or not ..is that right?

this goes to my secnd question which is:

1: Iam getting £65K...will that affect child benefit?
Greenie wrote:
wasiter wrote:Hi all,

My questions are:

Thanks
it's your status which is relevent to whether you can claim child benefit, not your childs. if you look around the forum you will see that your questions are asked (and answered) regularly.

I doubt you would get child tax credit on an income of £65,000

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:16 pm

Iam getting £65K...will that affect child benefit?
At the moment Child Benefit is a universal benefit, so your income is irrelevant. So claim!

But from April 2013 the rules will be changed and anyone paying higher rate tax will not be eligible for Child Benefit. Clearly that will affect you.
John