ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What would my options of gaining citizenship in the future b

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

barbie1

What would my options of gaining citizenship in the future b

Post by barbie1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Dear all,

Firstly wanted to say that for now I am in no position to discuss about becoming a British Citizen but I would like to know what my options for the future would be.

This question arose from the panic of reading about the government proposals for breaking the link between temporary and permanent migration.

I first came to the UK in October 2005 on a student visa, completed my BSc degree here for 4 years and got a PSW for another 2 years. I am currently going to apply for a Tier 2 visa which will be until July 2012. When it comes to settlement I know my years on the student visa and post study work do not count. However I have heard that if you have a total of 10 years (including studies) or 5-6 years of work (on tier 2 / work visa which would only count from now on for me) whatever is the earliest, you can apply for citizenship?

I know I might be completely wrong in my statements, but given my educational background and that I will not be doing any exceptional job with £150k odd salary, will it ever become possible for me to gain citizenship and how long could it possibly take given the circumstances?

Thanks for the input.

rnr79
Member of Standing

Re: What would my options of gaining citizenship in the futu

Post by rnr79 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:49 pm

barbie1 wrote:Dear all,

Firstly wanted to say that for now I am in no position to discuss about becoming a British Citizen but I would like to know what my options for the future would be.

This question arose from the panic of reading about the government proposals for breaking the link between temporary and permanent migration.

I first came to the UK in October 2005 on a student visa, completed my BSc degree here for 4 years and got a PSW for another 2 years. I am currently going to apply for a Tier 2 visa which will be until July 2012. When it comes to settlement I know my years on the student visa and post study work do not count. However I have heard that if you have a total of 10 years (including studies) or 5-6 years of work (on tier 2 / work visa which would only count from now on for me) whatever is the earliest, you can apply for citizenship?

I know I might be completely wrong in my statements, but given my educational background and that I will not be doing any exceptional job with £150k odd salary, will it ever become possible for me to gain citizenship and how long could it possibly take given the circumstances?

Thanks for the input.
As you said already mate it is hard to guess the situation after 3-4 years, considering the changes happening day by day. But my personal view..I wouldnt put my money on your case . :wink:

But you never know there may be completely opposite situation. if there is sharp reduction in immigrant workeres coming here after new rules come into effect in the next year, UK govt may need to relax some rules to attact workers again...but its me making stupid assumptions
Last edited by rnr79 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:51 pm

rnr79 wrote: But my personal view..I wouldnt put my money on your case . :wink:

Well that's hopeful....anyone else....:-(

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:00 pm

barbie1 wrote:
rnr79 wrote: But my personal view..I wouldnt put my money on your case . :wink:

Well that's hopeful....anyone else....:-(
sorry mate i didnt mean to be cruel, I know the feeling, in fact two years ago , i was so disctubred, thinkning about all the changes constantly. It was affecting my daily routine.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:18 pm

So there is no hope in the horizon if I continue working on a tier 2 for another 4 years for a total of 10 including my studies? And these changes proposed, will they not be implemented for those who come to the UK let's say from end of 2011 onwards or something?

ddb
United Kingdom

Post by ddb » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Just wanted to comment about the rules on 10 yr continuous lawful residence.
As I understand it, if you were eventually going to apply for settlement based on 10 yr long residence, your time as a PSW holder would count as you would have been continuously residing lawfully in the UK.

Ref - 276A, 276B and IDI - Long residence
Last edited by ddb on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:56 pm

assuming that you are still on PSW, i am afraid the possibility of getting ILR (an subsequently citizenship) is quite low.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:05 am

I apply this week for a Tier 2 Visa. I have already been here for 6 years, so would not staying for another 4 years and working on tier 2 make me eligible for ILR? I am not talking about applying now....but yet again, knowing the present immigration rules (forget about what might change), why is everyone telling me it's impossible?!

Is the 10 yr long residence being abolished?

ddb
United Kingdom

Post by ddb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:30 am

barbie1 wrote:Is the 10 yr long residence being abolished?
For now, no.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:33 am

So depressed really....I guess besides marriage there will be no other option.