ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning to the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

craigw1
Newly Registered

Returning to the UK

Post by craigw1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:38 pm

hi there
My wife and I are south africans. We arrived in the UK in December 1997. our kids were born in the UK in 1999 and 2001. We got ILR in 2001 and we got the kids UK passports. We then returned to South Africa.

We are now considering returning to the UK. On what basis should we apply ? returning resident ? parents of UK citizens ? please advise thanks

pelen23

Re: Returning to the UK

Post by pelen23 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:07 am

craigw1 wrote:hi there
My wife and I are south africans. We arrived in the UK in December 1997. our kids were born in the UK in 1999 and 2001. We got ILR in 2001 and we got the kids UK passports. We then returned to South Africa.

We are now considering returning to the UK. On what basis should we apply ? returning resident ? parents of UK citizens ? please advise thanks
Hi there,

I guess you return to the uk a resident but you need to contact british high commision and explain why you have been away for such a long time and you will be setting in the u.k for good. as far as i know you musntbe away from the country more than 2 yrs. have you not been to the uk since 2001?how come the kids got uk passport if you neither of E.U or British citizen.

Hope it helps

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Re: Returning to the UK

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:09 am

pelen23 wrote: ?how come the kids got uk passport if you neither of E.U or British citizen.
Because the parents had ILR when the kids were born.

I doubt whether a Returning Resident application would succeed after a 10-year absence. You may benefit from the "Zambrano" judgement which entitles you to be regarded as family members of EU citizen children. However, this may not be a straighforward application and you may wish to consult a suitably-qualified legal advisor.