ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

90 day visa stay in all EU countries or in each ind. one?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jennyjochex
Newly Registered

90 day visa stay in all EU countries or in each ind. one?

Post by jennyjochex » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi all,
Just really need to know a basic question. Thanks to any that know this officiallly and can reply.

I know you have 90 days on a tourist visa to stay in europe (as an american) and my question is if this is for all EU countries, or do you get 90 days in each country? I entered into Ireland and then Germany but am now in Italy. If you do not get 90 days in each country, how strict are they on this? When I leave Italy but have been here under three months but in the EU technically for longer will I never be able to return to any EU country? etc.

Really appreciate any response.
Thanks.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:01 am

Its 90 days for all of the EU, NOT each country. As for strictness, it depends on the country and if they really check your passport when you exit. It is possible to get an extension of the 90 days, though I am not sure how that would work with you given the country you are in. I am in Sweden and will be overstaying and all I have to do is go down to the migrations office with proof of health insurance coverage, bank statements, return plane tickets, and proof of where I am living. I woudnt think that many immigration people would check for your specific entry point ( especially if you have a cluttered passport), however if you are caught (and some airlines may check when checking you in) then it can potentially mean trouble and banning from EU entry for a number of years.

Call the immigration office of the country you are in and ask about an extension to your 90 days and what you would need to prove- I believe they allow for an additional 3 or 6 months then (cant remember which).

smalldog
Ireland

Post by smalldog » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:19 am

Actually it's 90 days in the Schengen area. As Ireland and the UK are not part of Schengen it's only your time in Germany and Italy that count.