ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

any exceptions to the spouse 3 year residency rule?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

barnoonan
Newly Registered

any exceptions to the spouse 3 year residency rule?

Post by barnoonan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi

I currently live overseas with my wife (South African). I am a UK citizen.

We live in the Middle East and she lives here under my sponsorship. I have heard that since she is sponsored by me that this might reduce the 3 year period in the UK, has anyone heard anything like this?

Secondly she is a professional athlete and has to travel a lot as part of her work. When we do settle in the UK it is quite likely that she will spend over 90 days out of the country with her work, do they make exceptions based on your career type?

THanks

Tim

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: any exceptions to the spouse 3 year residency rule?

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:46 pm

barnoonan wrote:I have heard that since she is sponsored by me that this might reduce the 3 year period in the UK, has anyone heard anything like this?
There is no exception to the (current) 2 year residential requirement for settlement (if entering UK on spouse visa) or the (current) 3 year residential requirement for naturalisation (e.g. - if entering UK on ILE).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!