ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-Eu and Eu De facto Visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dani_b
Newly Registered

Non-Eu and Eu De facto Visa

Post by dani_b » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:08 pm

I made a post some months ago about my situation but I wanted to know if any one had any new information about de facto visas. I am a British citizen and my boyfriend is American. We have been together for 2years and 1month. We would like to move to Ireland by way of the Eu Treaty. I would like to look for work and do an intership in Ireland (which i already have some interviews for). If we have evidence of our relationship and we declare our intensions at the boarder control, do you think we will have a good chance at obtaining a de facto visa?

Muttsnuts

Re: Non-Eu and Eu De facto Visa

Post by Muttsnuts » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:15 am

dani_b wrote:I made a post some months ago about my situation but I wanted to know if any one had any new information about de facto visas. I am a British citizen and my boyfriend is American. We have been together for 2years and 1month. We would like to move to Ireland by way of the Eu Treaty. I would like to look for work and do an intership in Ireland (which i already have some interviews for). If we have evidence of our relationship and we declare our intensions at the boarder control, do you think we will have a good chance at obtaining a de facto visa?
Your boyfriend is not visa required so you can't get a de facto visa (but can apply for permission to remain in Ireland on the basis of his de facto relationship with an EU National ). He can enter the State for up to 3 months so that you can make an application on his behalf on the basis of your relationship

If you can prove a durable relationship for over two years through documentation, you should be able to obtain Permission to Remain on the basis of EU Treaty rights. Realistically, you'll need to show that ye live together.

Note that you will have to be exercising EU Treaty Rights to make the application, i.e. you'll have to be working, in full-time study (and have private medical insurance) or have sufficient resources (and have provate medical insurance).

It's a sad truth that your application wil be more favourably looked upon as he is an American national as opposed to a national of a less prosperous nation.

dani_b
Newly Registered

Post by dani_b » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 am

Thank you for the information Muttsnuts. We have lived together for a year and 10months so I have bills, lease copies and things like that. It is to my understanding that I must have a job, be a full time student or have sufficient resources before applying for his permission to remain in Ireland, is this correct? I didnt know that American applicants have a more favourable chance than others.