ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier-1 PSW to Tier-1 General

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

snehal.ghodke
BANNED

Switching from Tier-1 PSW to Tier-1 General

Post by snehal.ghodke » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 pm

Currently I am on Tier-1 PSW visa, valid until mid of 2013.
I have completed my master's degree from the UK in March 2011.
I am aware of the new Visa rule that one can not switch to Tier-1 General from Tier-1 PSW, but according to the Points based calculator on UKBA site and www.workpermit.com, I am eligible to get Tier-1 General if I earn 75 points or above while applying.
Also, I heard that, your employer can help you to apply for your Tier-1 General Visa. Is it true and valid?
If I want to switch from Tier-1 PSW to Tier-1 General, what are the other rules assosiated with it?
Awaiting response. Thank you.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Switching from Tier-1 PSW to Tier-1 General

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:17 pm

snehal.ghodke wrote:If I want to switch from Tier-1 PSW to Tier-1 General, what are the other rules assosiated with it?
None, because you cannot apply for Tier 1 (General).

As per law, the immigration category is closed for new applicants .... irrespective of what some website states or your assumption based on an outcome of piece of software (PBS calculator).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

czkhan
Newly Registered

Re: Switching from Tier-1 PSW to Tier-1 General

Post by czkhan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:11 pm

sushdmehta wrote: None, because you cannot apply for Tier 1 (General).

As per law, the immigration category is closed for new applicants .... irrespective of what some website states or your assumption based on an outcome of piece of software (PBS calculator).
So what are the options available for further extension for those who are currently on PSW?

I found the following information in quotes from

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... igibility/

webpage which can be bit confusing.
Are you in an eligible immigration category?

You can apply to extend your stay in the UK under Tier 1 (General) if you are already in the UK with permission to stay (known as 'leave to remain') in one of the following immigration categories:

* highly skilled migrant
* writer, composer or artist
* self-employed lawyer
* Tier 1 (General)
* Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP), if you are eligible to switch into Tier 1 (General).

If you are not in one of the categories above, you cannot apply to Tier 1 (General).
How many points do you need?

Your total points score must be at least 95 points if you currently have permission to stay in the UK as:

* a Tier 1 (General) migrant under the Immigration Rules in place before 19 July 2010;
* a highly skilled migrant;
* a writer, composer or artist; or
* a self-employed lawyer.

If you are in any other eligible category, your total points score must be at least 100 points (unless you are covered by the HSMP Forum judicial review judgment - see below).
I am not sure what does it mean by any other eligible category? Is PSW not classified as any other eligible category?

I am sure there must be loads of people on PSW right now...So how else they can extend their stay besides switching to Tier 2, which is quite difficult I suppose and not many employers would be willing to go that route.

Thanks,

S

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:24 pm

PSW holders have no options other than switching to tier 2 or leave the country.

The whole objective behind this is to break up the link between temporary and permanent immigration.