ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Being sponsor of Working Holiday Visa - URGENT

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

g_scheepers
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Being sponsor of Working Holiday Visa - URGENT

Post by g_scheepers » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:04 pm

Hi,

I'm engaged to be married, but would like my fiance to come over on a Working Holiday Visa to be with me. I'm on a 5 yr WP (2nd one) living and working in the UK.

1. Can I act as a sponsor for her on this basis?
2. If so - what's required from me?

Thanks for your help!

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:13 pm

Whilst the sponsorship offer is useful the challenge for WHM is that of returnability i.e. you need to convince the Entry Clearance Officer that you will return to your home country after your 2 year WHM visa. Regretably this subjective area means that most applicants who are not from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa (SA is gradually joining the hit list though) get refused.

g_scheepers
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by g_scheepers » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:45 pm

We're both from South Africa. When you say that we need to convince the ECO of her return to our home country after the 2 years, what do we need to provide them with?

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:11 am

g_scheepers wrote: We're both from South Africa. When you say that we need to convince the ECO of her return to our home country after the 2 years, what do we need to provide them with?
As I said this is a subjective area and is based on the ECO deciding on the balance of probabilities that you will return home. There is no single document you can submit to prove this intention. The ECO will review your socio-economic factors such as ability to find a job in South Africa after your WHM visa. Since this is directly linked to the economic situation in SA as well as your skills/ qualifications it may be that in the ECO's opinion you are 'running' away.

What I have noted is that if you are from a 'good' income family, have a degree and are likely to be easily employed in your home country then you get a WHM visa. There are also political pressures in operation in the WHM - the governments of Australia, New Zealand and Canada actively promote the scheme via ongoing consultation with the UK government - its almost a form of labour interchange albeit supported by reciprocal schemes. It is best to proceed with the visa application as soon as possible because there is talk of a quota system being implemented.

Good luck