ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Switching?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sa9672
Newly Registered

Tier 2 Switching?

Post by sa9672 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi there,

I am currently on a tier 1 (PSW Dependant) visa which expires in December this year. My employers have offered to take a Tier 2 visa for me to continue working for them. My queries are as follows:
1 . Would it be possible for me to apply for a Tier 2 from within the UK?
2. If not, will I need to show documents like English language test (a latest one) when applying from my home country, India? I do have one done in 2008.
3. Will my employer need to do a resident labour test ? This is because I have been working for them for close to a year now and I thought that such a test was not requried in this case. Please advise.

Any tips or advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.
sa9672

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 2 Switching?

Post by Greenie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:24 pm

sa9672 wrote:Hi there,

I am currently on a tier 1 (PSW Dependant) visa which expires in December this year. My employers have offered to take a Tier 2 visa for me to continue working for them. My queries are as follows:
1 . Would it be possible for me to apply for a Tier 2 from within the UK?
2. If not, will I need to show documents like English language test (a latest one) when applying from my home country, India? I do have one done in 2008.
3. Will my employer need to do a resident labour test ? This is because I have been working for them for close to a year now and I thought that such a test was not requried in this case. Please advise.

Any tips or advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.
sa9672
You cannot switch from a PSW dependent to Tier 2 from within the UK as 245HD b) is not satisfied.

You need to apply from outside the UK. Your employer would need to issue you a restricted CoS and will either have to be on the shortage occupation list, or your employer will need to do a RLMT unless the salary is over £150,000

See Tier 2 Guidance

sa9672
Newly Registered

Post by sa9672 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Thanks for your response.
Regards
sa9672

Peter.Robinson
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 2 Switching?

Post by Peter.Robinson » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi

If you are a Tier 1 psw dependant, then the thing to do is to get your spouse to find a job asap.

They can switch in-country from T1 PSW to Tier 2.

If they start soon, their employers may escape the need to advertise the role locally (ie if they work for the employer for 6 months prior to applying to switch to Tier 2)

If your spouse moves from Tier1PSW to Tier 2, you can move from T1PSW dependant to Tier 2 dependant.

I hope this helps