ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does my wife need British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

be_sure_2000
Newly Registered

Does my wife need British Citizenship

Post by be_sure_2000 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi all,

I appreciate the work of moderator for maintaining and keeping such a useful forum alive and running. A big thanks to all of you.

My Query:
Me, My wife and 14 months old kid all having Indian Passports have got our ILR in July 2010.

I am applying for my Britihs Citizenship in next month BUT with regard to my wife and kid I have following doubts.

1) I was checking is it necessary for my wife and KID to take citizenship.

2) I want my wife to have Indian PP so that in any worst case, we can invest in India and I can do it on my wife's name as she will be having Indian PP.

3) Going forward, staying for long time on ILR without any citizenship would cause any problems to her and baby?

If any body can answer above questions with reference to any websites, that would be great.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Suresh

rajesh_kumar01

Re: Does my wife need British Citizenship

Post by rajesh_kumar01 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:13 pm

be_sure_2000 wrote:Hi all,

I appreciate the work of moderator for maintaining and keeping such a useful forum alive and running. A big thanks to all of you.

My Query:
Me, My wife and 14 months old kid all having Indian Passports have got our ILR in July 2010.

I am applying for my Britihs Citizenship in next month BUT with regard to my wife and kid I have following doubts.

1) I was checking is it necessary for my wife and KID to take citizenship.

2) I want my wife to have Indian PP so that in any worst case, we can invest in India and I can do it on my wife's name as she will be having Indian PP.

3) Going forward, staying for long time on ILR without any citizenship would cause any problems to her and baby?

If any body can answer above questions with reference to any websites, that would be great.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Suresh
Hi Suresh ,

1) Its not mandatory for them to take citizenship.
2) You don't need Indian passport to invest in India. Once you get OCI you will be consider as per NRI. Just you can not invest in Revenue land(agriculture Land) and can not hold any constitutional post.
3) It should not be a problem. I know many of my friend are in same situation .

(Out of Scope: Why don;t you apply BC for you son ? )

Cheers
R

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:19 pm

be_sure_2000, where was your child born? In the UK? Or elsewhere?
John

be_sure_2000
Newly Registered

Thanks for reply

Post by be_sure_2000 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for your quick reply. I heard that going forward UK Govt. has plans to remove ILR and make Citizenship rules strict and more tight. But I dont have concrete information about that. So I was in Dilema.

John, My son was born in UK when I was on HSMP, so he has Indian Passport.

I want my wife and Son to have Indian passport so that I will have every option open from India Side.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Does my wife need British Citizenship

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:07 pm

be_sure_2000 wrote:1) I was checking is it necessary for my wife and KID to take citizenship.
To apply for your child's registration and your wife's naturalisation (as British citizens) is a "choice", not a compulsion or necessity.
be_sure_2000 wrote:3) Going forward, staying for long time on ILR without any citizenship would cause any problems to her and baby?
If there is any intention for them to live outside UK for long periods (2 years or more at a time), see also returning residents. However, since your child is entitled to British citizenship, staying outside UK shouldn't be a problem for him as he will, while he is minor, always be able to register as a British citizen, even his settled status becomes invalid.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!