ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Possible To Stay Few Extra Months After PSW Expiry?

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bananafish

Possible To Stay Few Extra Months After PSW Expiry?

Post by bananafish » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Hello,

I posted this in another person's topic but didn't get a response, so figured it would be better to make a separate topic.

So the situation is that I have been on the PSW since Aug 2009. However, instead of working full-time or looking for a professional job, I pursued a professional qualification at a public-funded university studying part-time and working part-time. My current visa expires in Aug 2011.

I sat for the final assessments in late May/early June. If I manage to clear all exams, I will be able to attend the graduation ceremony in July and head back home in August. This is an ideal scenario.

But here's the catch:

I am pretty sure that I completely botched up one exam. So I'm expecting to get at least one confirmed re-sit when the result is announced later this month. If I were to get a resit, it means that obviously, I won't be able to graduate in July. Instead, I'll have to re-sit the examination sometime in August/September and then provided I successfully pass, I'll have to graduate in November. It's very important to me that I attend the graduation ceremony.

Now given that my current PSW visa is expiring in August 2011, how can I can I legally stay in this country for an extra few months so I can sit for the re-sit exam in Aug/Sep?

I'm pretty certain, I can't apply for a student visa just to give one re-sit exam and attend a graduation ceremony and I don't think I'll be able to extend a PSW visa. There won't be enough time for me to go back to my home country, apply for a visa, then return again to sit for this exam. And I really don't want to delay all this until next year. I just want to get this re-sit over and done with in August/September.

What is my best option? Is there some sort of visa category that allows me to stay in this country for a few extra months? Even if it's a tourist visa. I saw in another topic that the FLR (O) category might apply but I'm not sure if it's applicable in my situation.

I should also mention that I have no intention to stay in this country after completing my education. Due to the saturated job-market in my field, it would be unlikely for me to get a professional job and it's more beneficial for me to go and work back home.

Hoping to get some insight/advice/opinions about what category suits this situation. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.