ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on application for ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nowell
Newly Registered

Advice on application for ILR

Post by Nowell » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:27 pm

I am a non-EEA national and have been lawfully in the UK for nearly 10 years.I am currently on my 4th year of work permit but will be eligible to apply for ILR in mid-August. (10 yr in the UK on 15th Sept).I have already downloaded form Set (O) for completion.

However, in the meantime, I've got married to a UK citizen in April 06.
What is the fastest application for ILR? if I apply on my own on the basis of 10 yr long stay or as a spouse of UK citizen?

Thanks!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:29 pm

Definitely proceed with the form SET(O) application.

If you went the marriage route you would get issued with a 2-year spouse visa and only near the end of the 2-year period could you apply for ILR.

Do you appreciate that having got your ILR you will be instantly eligible to apply for Naturalisation? Assuming of course that when you apply you can enclose a pass certificate from the Citizenship Test!
John

Nowell
Newly Registered

Application for ILR

Post by Nowell » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:33 am

Yes, I am aware of that and I fully intend to apply for naturalisation once I've got the ILR. Just wasnt sure what was the quickest route?

Thanks John!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:53 am

That's good. Have you already passed the Citizenship Test?
John

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:43 am

John wrote:Do you appreciate that having got your ILR you will be instantly eligible to apply for Naturalisation?
doesn't one have to complete 12 months on ILR before applying for naturalisation ??

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:06 pm

olisun wrote:
John wrote:Do you appreciate that having got your ILR you will be instantly eligible to apply for Naturalisation?
doesn't one have to complete 12 months on ILR before applying for naturalisation ??
A person who is applying for naturalisation on the basis of marriage to a British citizen need only have indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK on the date of the application (in addition to having lived in the UK for three years (not five), etc, etc).

So, such a person could be granted ILR on Monday and apply for naturalisation on Tuesday, provided of course that all the other criteria and prerequisites are met.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:38 pm

Olisun, Christophe is totally correct, a spouse (or indeed these days, also a Civil Partner of) a British Citizen merely needs to have ILR when they apply for Naturalisation, but to have held it for any particular length of time.

But other requirements in addition.
John

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:43 pm

If your ILR was granted based on 10yrs residence (or 4/5 for WP holders) can you still apply for naturalisation based on marriage?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:16 pm

Yes you can, the reason why or how the ILR (or Permanent Residence) was granted is irrelevant as regards submitting a Naturalisation application.

Marriage in this context of course means marriage to a British Citizen.
John

Janit
Newly Registered

Post by Janit » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:49 pm

I am a bit confused. Moderator, or anyone who knows for sure, please clarify:

If a person gets ILR on the basis of 10 year long residence and is not married to a British citizen, can he/she the ILR person, apply for naturalisation within a few days of getting ILR? Or does he/she have to wait for a year before applying for naturalisation?

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:58 pm

John wrote:Olisun, Christophe is totally correct, a spouse (or indeed these days, also a Civil Partner of) a British Citizen merely needs to have ILR when they apply for Naturalisation, but to have held it for any particular length of time.

But other requirements in addition.
oh yeah now I remember.. My wife got her naturalisation before completing 12 months on ILR cause I was naturalised before her..... :-)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:07 pm

Janit wrote:If a person gets ILR on the basis of 10 year long residence and is not married to a British citizen, can he/she the ILR person, apply for naturalisation within a few days of getting ILR? Or does he/she have to wait for a year before applying for naturalisation?
The route to ILR is irrelevant! When can naturalisation be applied for (assuming all other requirements met) :-
  • If not married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen then when ILR has been held for a minimum of one year
  • If married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen then when ILR has been held for a minimum of one second!
Hope that is clear enough. But no, the one second bit is not in the legislation ..... you can actually deduct one second from that!
John

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:03 pm

John wrote:
Janit wrote:If a person gets ILR on the basis of 10 year long residence and is not married to a British citizen, can he/she the ILR person, apply for naturalisation within a few days of getting ILR? Or does he/she have to wait for a year before applying for naturalisation?
The route to ILR is irrelevant! When can naturalisation be applied for (assuming all other requirements met) :-
  • If not married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen then when ILR has been held for a minimum of one year
  • If married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen then when ILR has been held for a minimum of one second!
Hope that is clear enough. But no, the one second bit is not in the legislation ..... you can actually deduct one second from that!
Thanks for clearing that up John. When put like that it is quite simple. These ILR/Naturalisation times are extremely confusing, any chance of a sticky with the rules explained as above?

Janit
Newly Registered

Post by Janit » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:27 am

Yes, thanks, John. I am going to hopefully get ILR on the 10 year basis in November, and am interested in all posts about that particular route. Thanks, again. :)

Nowell
Newly Registered

Document requirements for ILR APPLICATION

Post by Nowell » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:31 pm

I am sending off my Form SET O and just checking that I have got all required documents from Home office.

I am applying on basis on long residence (10 yr) and all that is required are all passports held during that time and 2 photos. Is this correct?

Some of my friends who have applied before mentioned they needed to show a letter from their current employer...I am applying by post so I do not want to send unneccessary docs. Could somebody clarify this for me? Thanks.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:45 pm

I am applying on basis on long residence (10 yr) and all that is required are all passports held during that time and 2 photos. Is this correct?
Maybe yes, maybe no! But it is all very clear in Section 6 of the form. It is also necessary to take into account :-
Your police registration certificate (if you have been asked to register with the police).
That will depend upon your nationality, whether you have been required to register with the Police. If you have you clearly need to enclose your Police Registration Certificate, as well as the items mentioned by you.

One other point! You are going to use the latest version of the form SET(O)? The easy way to tell, at the moment, is this ..... where will you post the form to? If to a Durham address then you have the latest version, but if to Cannock, well no, go to the IND website and download the latest version.
John

Nowell
Newly Registered

Post by Nowell » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:49 pm

Thanks John.
I have never been asked to registered with Police. And yes, I have the latest version of the form, which am posting to Durham.