ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Controls - Exit stamps and airport controls LHR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bmd
Newly Registered

Immigration Controls - Exit stamps and airport controls LHR

Post by bmd » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:08 am

Hi,
Does anyone know if there are immigration controls at London Heathrow for those leaving the UK to fly to South Africa?
I will have overstayed my existing visa by a couple of days, and am returning to SA for a couple of weeks for my entry clearance. I know there are no exit stamps, but would the date of entry stamp at the SA airport be an issue?

Any thoughts?

B

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:33 am

Probably not. Its only a couple of days overstay but have a plausible explanation ready should you draw a nit picker.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

bmd
Newly Registered

Post by bmd » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:41 am

well... would being on holiday in switzerland suffice??? am trying to follow alot of the commentary in the forums.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:11 pm

I know there are no exit stamps, but would the date of entry stamp at the SA airport be an issue?
It wouldn't be an issue because there's no way they can prove that you entered South Africa from the UK. You could have come from any other country that doesn't stamp your passport when leaving. I'm a South African passport holder too and whenever I've gone to Switzerland on holiday they've never stamped my passport when entering or leaving.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

ppron747
inactive

Re: Immigration Controls - Exit stamps and airport controls

Post by ppron747 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:30 pm

bmd wrote:Does anyone know if there are immigration controls at London Heathrow for those leaving the UK to fly to South Africa?....
Departure desks are not staffed full-time, but I have had my passport examined on departure from LHR on each of about six or seven trips in the last several months - including my last trip, which was to S.A. in mid-June.

You say you will have overstayed by a couple of days. I'm sure this sounds rather po-faced, but wouldn't it be better to rearrange the flight so that you won't have overstayed?
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

bmd
Newly Registered

Post by bmd » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:48 am

haha... thats easier said than done, having to rearrange flights - just have client committments... work is aware of this (a work permit was applied for - out of country - and the approval came through 1 week after the whm visa expired)
Just curious as to whether there are any implications (other than the obvious overstaying) and whether there is a grace period in which I have to leave... I have read somewhere 28 days, but if 28 days then when? from the time my whm runs out, or from the time the new work permit was issued..
re the travel - i dont recall my passport being checked, other than at the check in desk...and i do 100% travel, EU and the US, either LCY or LHR...

Obviously this time is a bit more different than others.

B

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:29 pm

Exit controls seem to be sporadic at present - my last four flights abroad (all out of Heathrow terminal 3, as it happens) have yielded three checks and one non-check (the non-check being on Saturday morning 10 days ago). Passport desks all in place again but no one staffing them. I am not sure when the Home Office plans to re-instigate exit passport checks on a 'formal' basis.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:35 pm

My passport was again examined when I left T3 last Friday evening...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:47 pm

mine was checked on the 11th on my return from the states to LHT T4. They are very serious with this now and extra scrutinity is being employed to check fraud and dubious dealings. Just take care.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:53 pm

mine was checked on the 11th on my return from the states to LHT T4
Well, this is a given as everyone's passport is always checked upon entering the UK.
They are very serious with this now and extra scrutinity is being employed to check fraud and dubious dealings. Just take care.
Huh? And they weren't in the past? No need to take care, if you haven't done anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:04 pm

Dawie,
That has always being my principle and will always be. I have travelled so many times and haven't face such scrutinity before. My last three trips through LHR from Geneva, USA and Zurich has ended me spending about 10 minutes each with the IO. The issue was, I lost my passport in the post and got a new one. They always want to be sure that, I am who I claim I am and not someone impersonating me but it is understandable.

For the past couple of years it was not an issue until this year so just to say that, they are taking their jobs seriously after much media accusations in the past couple of months.

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:37 pm

bmd
I would definitely not overstay even by a day, especially because you have a new WP visa and job which will come into effect. If you get caught overstaying you could mess up your return here and your new job.
Joseph

PASS

Post by PASS » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:46 am

bmd,

I agree with Joseph. Even a day overstay could complicate issues, esp under current circumbstance. If I were you, I would rather find an appropriate way out than trying to hide info. You can aruge 28 days period if your intension is not to come back otherwise not!.

If nothing works out, just write a letter to the Home Office explaining your problem in rescheduling your travel, and would like leave 2 days later than actual - they been informed!

In these days, you will get a stamp upon arrival in any country. It will become your responsibility to prove that you left the UK in time if any Qns. asked!