ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR success Sheffield 24.06.11 - old WP, absence calculation

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

monsoon
Newly Registered

ILR success Sheffield 24.06.11 - old WP, absence calculation

Post by monsoon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:52 pm

thank you so much to everyone here in immigrationboards.com - you guys don't know how much you've helped me with my application. I was granted ILR last 24.06.11 at 130pm appointment at PEO Sheffield in under 2 hours. sorry for the long post, i just thought of writing everything to help anyone in need of the details.

background: arrived last January 2006 on Student Nurse Visa then granted Work Permit for 5 years (July 2006-2011) at PEO Croydon.

possible issues:
1. employer's letter for old work permit holders does not include code of practice or SOC code, but does include specific job title and annual salary.
2. personal absences in the UK = 201 days (including arrival and departure) = 157 days (excluding arrival and departure dates)
3. receiving child benefit into my account although named after my husband son who are both EU citizens

possible solutions in case they query:
1. will give initially the employer's letter without any mention of the code, but have another one with the code just in case they ask for it
2. if the caseworker calculates my absences including the arrival and departure dates, i will be showing the letter from our annual leave officer confirming that most absences in the UK were on paid annual leave. i also have a letter from our HR indicating the number of annual leaves i have.
3. brought my husband and son's EU passports and the letter from the government addressed to my husband that he's entitled to receive child benefit for our son.

details of the application and interview:
1205h - arrival at Sheffield, lost because our GPS nav was not updated and could not read new roads
1240h - arrival at PEO Sheffield (green and yellow bldg) and looked for the riverside entrance
1245h - security check like airport - given a stub for my scissors
queued at counter 7 (reception) - showed my appointment letter (with my reference number from their text reminder) - the man ticked my name in his list, gave me a stub and told to wait for my number to be called
1250h - was called in less than 5 minutes to counter 6. he asked for my application form, checked it page by page, asked if i have any dependants, asked when my pics were taken (told him i have a 2-day old pictures but are darker than the ones submitted bec. they were only taken from photo me booths; he said he prefers the latest one and that they can alter the brightness of the pic just in case). asked for my passport (he verified my name on the application form and the passport). asked for all supporting documents where i gave him my 3 payslips, 3 bank statements, LITUK notification letter and employer's letter. he then placed them all in a clear envelope topped with the payment page from the application form and was asked to sit in front of the payment counter.
1312h - made payment using debit card but had to recall memorable name asked by the bank to process my purchase. i had to wait for my husband to come back as i forgot my debit card with him! i realised that i don't have my debit card while waiting in front of the payment counter and i had to ask the security if i can use my phone. he said i can go out as much times i want but should stay only where they can see me. i have a creditcard (with filled out payments page) just in case but would prefer to use my debit card.
the lady at the payment counter then took my documents and was informed that i will be getting my receipt after the decision.
1337h - was called by a young man with black glasses and asked me the following:
> are you applying for ILR?
> details about my work permit
> details about my work
> (pointing at my passport stamps) - you've travelled a lot, are these only in europe? what is your longest stay outside the UK?
> it says here (pointing at my passport) that you're married. why is he not applying with you?
and then said that he will be doing a few checks if he can grant me ILR and the earliest he can arrive at a decision is 3pm, asking me if it's ok. of course i said yes.
1440h - suddenly called and told me before i can sit down that they are granting ILR and will be receiving my passport in 10 mins at the next counter then asked if i have questions where i inquired regarding their calculation of absences, if they have a guidance about it and what should my friend do with more than 220 days personal absences. his answer: depends on the discretion of the caseworker, no guidance about it (while shaking his head) and that my friend should consult a solicitor or the ias.org.uk (first consultation free). and in the middle of this conversation stood a man beside him holding my passport with the vignette on it. they apologised that my middle name wasnt included and that it doesnt show in their system which was fine with me.

PEO Sheffield - highly recommended! we stayed there overnight and brought our son and friends to Magna Science Adventure Centre. but i only enjoyed the trip because of the positive outcome. as for the PEO staff, everyone were so nice including the security and all the caseworkers i met. just a warning that the PEO is so small you can hear everyone's interviews. i heard 3 applications denied!

hope i could help anyone in return to all the help i received in this forum! tc :)

riojamel

hi monsoon

Post by riojamel » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:53 am

hi dear
i have my appointment in few weeks
i got text from ukba with appointment confirmation and and all
but they did not send me letter,they just sent me txt on my phone
do i need a confirmation letter from ukba along my text on my phone for apponitment or i can enter in peo by showing ukba text.
please reply

vian29
Newly Registered

Re: hi monsoon

Post by vian29 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:05 am

riojamel wrote:hi dear
i have my appointment in few weeks
i got text from ukba with appointment confirmation and and all
but they did not send me letter,they just sent me txt on my phone
do i need a confirmation letter from ukba along my text on my phone for apponitment or i can enter in peo by showing ukba text.
please reply
Hello, you do not need a letter, just the text, with the reference number which starts with 4-.....I had a successful interview last week and only took my phone to confirm text

Goodluck!

riojamel

thanks vian29

Post by riojamel » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34 am

vian thanks for reply
congrats for ur ilr
i m applying on 5 years workpermit entered in uk 2006
completing my 5 years in july and on my workpermit says 14500 salary but i have been paid around 16000 last 5 years /?

on this stage i need anything for codes of practice
did any 1 ask u for COP in ur appointment?

monsoon
Newly Registered

Re: thanks vian29

Post by monsoon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:34 pm

riojamel wrote:vian thanks for reply
congrats for ur ilr
i m applying on 5 years workpermit entered in uk 2006
completing my 5 years in july and on my workpermit says 14500 salary but i have been paid around 16000 last 5 years /?

on this stage i need anything for codes of practice
did any 1 ask u for COP in ur appointment?

hi, they didnt ask me my employer's letter with code of practice, but i have one handy. the letter i passed included my job title, salary, start date, msg that they still need me for work & that they are waiting for my ILR to be granted. my backup letter is similar to the employer's letter in the sticky in this forum.

as for d appointment letter, i printed the page after booking but they only looked at my name & d reference number in the text msg.

hope this helps.

gajenb7
Newly Registered

Post by gajenb7 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Congrats monsoon! i have my ILR application next week and it is so nerve wrecking! did you have proof of all your travels?

monsoon
Newly Registered

Post by monsoon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:01 pm

gajenb7 wrote:Congrats monsoon! i have my ILR application next week and it is so nerve wrecking! did you have proof of all your travels?
thanks gajenb7!

don't have proof of my travels but just in case they question my over-the-limit UK absences (depending on how they calculate it), i have with me a letter from our personnel of the number of annual leave entitlements i have and also a letter from our annual leave coordinator the list of my paid annual leaves i have taken since 2006. i also prepared a personal letter (cover letter) explaining the reasons of my personal absences in the UK.

hope this helps :)

riojamel

hi

Post by riojamel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:05 am

can u please guide what size of photographs ukba accept for set o form
is that just normal passport size photos

monsoon
Newly Registered

Re: hi

Post by monsoon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:22 pm

riojamel wrote:can u please guide what size of photographs ukba accept for set o form
is that just normal passport size photos
same size as passport photos from photo-me booths, but please follow guideline below:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -guide.pdf

an although they didn't say in the guideline that pictures should be taken within 28 days, the more recent the better. they have a photo me booth inside the sheffield PEO, im just not sure if it's working.

hope this helps :)

ash210

text reminder

Post by ash210 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:13 pm

hi,
i have booked my appointment but i have not received any text on my mobile
just the confirmation that its booked , is the text important or just the printout of booking is enough?