ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need advice on matter involving Greece

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

STin
Newly Registered

Need advice on matter involving Greece

Post by STin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:18 pm

First, forgive me if I am asking for something that has been asked many times before. There is a lot of info on these forums and it is sometimes difficult to take it all in.

I am a United States citizen. Both of my parents are Greek citizens and were both born and married in Greece, which would make me a Greek National by law, I believe. In 2008 I flew from New York into Athens and stayed for 30 months. I left through Thessaloniki(having no problems) in Oct 2010 and had a layover in Zurich where they detained me. They basically took down my info and informed me I would be receiving a fine for overstaying, which I did. They made no mention of a ban or anything of the sort. Nor was anything indicating a ban stamped onto my passport.

My plan is to visit Greece again sometime after the summer. What would be an advisable and optimal way for me to re-enter Europe? Do I have any 'rights' as a Greek National and child of Greek parents? Does the 2004/38/EC Directive apply to me in any way? Sorry, if I am asking trivial questions but I often find it somewhat difficult to digest all of the info available here.

Will I have anything to worry about travelling back into Europe? I've been told Italy and Scandinavian countries are somewhat 'lax' in their entry requirements for tourists? I'm not even sure if there is an ounce of truth to this, however it is something that I have heard just from some reading around.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:39 am

A child of a Greek citizen acquires Greek nationality automatically at birth
A Greek national does not usually lose their Greek citizenship when they
obtain another nationality.

The best thing is just apply for your Greek passport at the Greek Embassy in the US
then you can come and go as you wish in the EU. And also work if you want.
And ignore the fine or any possible ban

I know many dual US/EU citizens, who bring both their passports, using
their EU passport to enter EU, ans their US passport to return to the
states.

http://www.helleniccomserve.com/greekpassport.html
But there is the issue of military service, see below
When I obtain my Greek citizenship, will I have to serve to the Greek Army?

Males of Greek origin who permanently reside outside of Greece do not have to serve to the Greek Army, provided that they do not stay in Greece more than six months within the same calendar year (1st Jan. – 31st Dec.). So, even if a male of Greek origin obtains his Greek citizenship, he will not have to serve to the Army, if he does not stay in Greece for more than six months within the same calendar year. He will be able, however to use his Greek passport and stay as many years as he wants in another EU member state. If he resides in Greece for more than six months within the same calendar year, he will automatically become resident of Greece and then he will have to serve to the Greek Army for twelve months. If someone decides that he definitely wants to stay in Greece for more than six months, it is better for him first to declare that he wants to serve to the Army as permanent resident outside of Greece (in that case he will serve 3 – 6 months maximum), and then stay in Greece permanently.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Need advice on matter involving Greece

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:44 am

I agree that your best bet is to get your passport OR a Greek national ID card ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_document#Greece ) (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_d ... pean_Union ). At least for France, the ID cards are free and the passports are not. Looks like Greek ID cards are only issued in Greece, so it may be best to get a passport first....

As a Greek citizen you can easily live in Greece, and can almost as easily live in any EU member state. You just have to work or be self sufficient or be a student... You just need to show up in your destination (with your new passport or ID card). Your spouse or children can also trivially come with you...

http://www.greekembassy.org/embassy/con ... icle=20574 is about Greek citizenship.
STin wrote:I am a United States citizen. Both of my parents are Greek citizens and were both born and married in Greece, which would make me a Greek National by law, I believe. In 2008 I flew from New York into Athens and stayed for 30 months. I left through Thessaloniki(having no problems) in Oct 2010 and had a layover in Zurich where they detained me. They basically took down my info and informed me I would be receiving a fine for overstaying, which I did. They made no mention of a ban or anything of the sort. Nor was anything indicating a ban stamped onto my passport.
How much was the fine? Did you already pay it? Likely you can get it back!
Will I have anything to worry about travelling back into Europe? I've been told Italy and Scandinavian countries are somewhat 'lax' in their entry requirements for tourists? I'm not even sure if there is an ounce of truth to this, however it is something that I have heard just from some reading around.
You will have zero problems if you have a Greek passport. You certainly picked the thorough NOT-law place to fly through last fall!