ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Information with Child Benefit Money Paid BAck

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kashty
Newly Registered

ILR Information with Child Benefit Money Paid BAck

Post by kashty » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:34 am

Hi,

I'm on Tier-1 Visa (HSMP Extended to Tier-1), I'm an Indian national and applying for ILR, Last year for a short duration of time I took child benefits, as soon as I realised That I've committed a mistake in claiming these benefits, I asked them for stopping the payment and initiate a process to claim the amount back from me, In May this year I have given the money back to them and have received a letter from them stating the same.

Some one please advise, Is it advisable for me to go in person for ILR or the postal route is better. Any one having a recent experience for the same.

What are my options, if they reject my ILR.

Kind Regards

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:52 pm

I would always suggest to go for premium service, its more costly to postal application process, but you will know the decision same day!
I don't think the benefit claim will be a problem as you have stopped it and repaid in FULL!
I personally know someone who claimed child benefit for 2 kids of theirs for 3years and did not even payback, but stopped receiving the benefit few months before ILR, they were granted ILR with no questions asked.
That does not interpret that it is ok to claim! I am just sharing a first hand knowledge I know.
“Impossible is just an opinion.”
.......Paulo Coelho

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:50 pm

EXPLAIN ALL in covering letter

and show letter from hmrc of all repayments

u should be fine

so long u piad back there should be no issues but if u have still holding benifits than u should wait till all payments mad back

otherwise u r obtaining ilr by fraud , overlook by HO this point called oversight and u will be in trouble in future
CDOKS

vin323
Newly Registered

how to pay back?

Post by vin323 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:08 pm

hi kashty,

I am on hsmp->tier 1 visa currently.

Unknowingly, I have submitted the child benefit claim form last month. I have already requested the child benefit office to withdraw my application. Currently my child benefit account is suspended. I have been told that there will not be any more payments. Meanwhile, a first premium of 125 pounds is already credited to my account.

Please let me know from your experience:
1. How long does it take to hear from Child Benefit Office for the cancellation confirmation?
2. How do I pay back this amount to child benefit office?
3. If there anything more I need to do from your experience?

Thank you.

kashty
Newly Registered

Re: how to pay back?

Post by kashty » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:53 am

vin323 wrote:hi kashty,

I am on hsmp->tier 1 visa currently.

Unknowingly, I have submitted the child benefit claim form last month. I have already requested the child benefit office to withdraw my application. Currently my child benefit account is suspended. I have been told that there will not be any more payments. Meanwhile, a first premium of 125 pounds is already credited to my account.

Please let me know from your experience:
1. How long does it take to hear from Child Benefit Office for the cancellation confirmation?
2. How do I pay back this amount to child benefit office?
3. If there anything more I need to do from your experience?

Thank you.

Hi Vin323,

It takes around 1.5 to 2 months to get the letter, first please give them a call at 01612103086 and ask them to claim the money back from you. They'll assign a caseworker to discuss it with you (Takes nearly a week),

1. You'll be required to send your passport to them.

2. After verifying that you've taken the payments in mistake, they'll send you a later stating that you've taken benefits illegally and need to payback the amount to them.

3. You will be issued a letter stating how you can payback to them (From my personal experience don't opt for post office payment it takes minimum 15 days to track the payment for them).

4. Once money get tracked in their system, you need to call them again to issue a letter stating that you've paid back (Takes a week).

Kind Regards
Kashty

vin323
Newly Registered

Post by vin323 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:42 am

Dear kashty,

Thank you so much for your message and I really appreciate your help.

I have already sent a written request to withdraw and cancel my child benefit application. Some one from child benefit office has already contacted me and asked the reason for cancellation. She has told me that there will not be any more payments and the back office is working on it to cancel the claim application. I have also requested to pay back the 121.80 pounds in my written letter. She said they will send the instructions for payback.

Now it is almost 1 month since the last conversation. But no one has asked me to send the passport yet. I am not sure whether I have to call them again.

Thank you.

Gerry2011

Post by Gerry2011 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 am

Hi Sushil,

I was in same boat, took child benefits for about 2 years, when I realised that its a fraud, I immidiately stopped (started 2007 January and stopped Dec 2009).
I asked them that I want to repay all benefits I received so far, they replied me with "u dont need to pay" (got in writing from them).

Please could you guide me in this situation.

Many Thanks

mk357
Member of Standing

Post by mk357 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:50 pm

Gerry2011 wrote:Hi Sushil,

I was in same boat, took child benefits for about 2 years, when I realised that its a fraud, I immidiately stopped (started 2007 January and stopped Dec 2009).
I asked them that I want to repay all benefits I received so far, they replied me with "u dont need to pay" (got in writing from them).

Please could you guide me in this situation.

Many Thanks
Your visa specifically states "No recourse to public funds..." and child benefit is a public fund. When you mention this in the ILR form its likely that you would be refused.

kashty
Newly Registered

Post by kashty » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:10 am

Sushil-ACCA wrote:EXPLAIN ALL in covering letter

and show letter from hmrc of all repayments

u should be fine

so long u piad back there should be no issues but if u have still holding benifits than u should wait till all payments mad back

otherwise u r obtaining ilr by fraud , overlook by HO this point called oversight and u will be in trouble in future
Hi Sushil,

Thanks for your advise, I've paid the benefits back to HMRC in full and have a letter from them stating the same.

I'm in a new dilemma now, I've just now received a letter from Child Trust Fund that they've opened a Child Trust Fund Account for my child as I've not used the voucher sent by them initially to me. I'm not sure what to do now, I'm very confused my PEO date is fast approaching.

Kindly advise.

vin323
Newly Registered

Post by vin323 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Deleted.

harry2011
Newly Registered

Re: ILR Information with Child Benefit Money Paid BAck

Post by harry2011 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi Kashty,

I saw your post below and am keen to know how did your ILR application go as I am also in the same boat as you were? I claimed CB for 5 months at the start of this year and returned it as soon as I realized that I wasn't entitled to it. I am currently on a Tier-1 Visa and will be applying for ILR next week.

Could you please let me know about the status of your ILR application. I would be highly obliged if you can share your experience.

kashty wrote:Hi,

I'm on Tier-1 Visa (HSMP Extended to Tier-1), I'm an Indian national and applying for ILR, Last year for a short duration of time I took child benefits, as soon as I realised That I've committed a mistake in claiming these benefits, I asked them for stopping the payment and initiate a process to claim the amount back from me, In May this year I have given the money back to them and have received a letter from them stating the same.

Some one please advise, Is it advisable for me to go in person for ILR or the postal route is better. Any one having a recent experience for the same.

What are my options, if they reject my ILR.

Kind Regards

samrobert
Newly Registered

Post by samrobert » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks Kashty for your responses .. we also stuck under same issue unknowingly .... need your help ... please do reply .. please... What were the options that were available for repayment and what option do you suggest is the fastest...
Did u get ILR after showing this HMRC lettter... and have mentioned anything in your covering letter or have you produced the covering letter to UKBA during the time of application...

one more thing Kashty in my case I am the main applicant and my wife has claimed on her name..in the whole child benefit process my name is nowhere in the picture... does this help in ILR success ... still can be a issue..

Many thanks for your time and your cooperation is highly appreciable... please reply...