ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I realistically have any shot at all?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jackuk778
Newly Registered

Do I realistically have any shot at all?

Post by jackuk778 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:46 am

I'm from the usa. I plan to save up as much money as possible and also apply for a federal college loan here at home and use it to pay for tuition at a school in the UK, perhaps the University of Sussex, which participates in an international student program . I plan to get a student visa and live, study and work part time in the UK for three years.

If that isn't ambitious enough, I have a nine year old child. I would need to bring my child with me, if this is possible, and enroll them in a free public school, if that is possible, take care of them, drop them off and pick them up from school unless there's a bus service, and do all the parental type stuff, while going to school and working myself.

I figure I can't stay in a dorm room with a nine year old child so I would probably need to pay for a flat or make some sort of special arrangements with the university but I suspect there's nothing they would be able to do for me.

I know this forum is more for technical info and less for this sort of thing but what do you guys think of this? Is this something other people do? Would I be the first American to apply for a loan in the usa, go to school in the UK while bringing their child along for the ride? I think going to school in the UK would benefit them as well and it would be a great cultural experience for the both of us. I just don't know if it's feasible.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:40 am

How sure are you that you can use your federal loan for studying outside the US? Somehow I do not think that the US Government will subsidise and guarantee a loan for studying overseas.

Secondly, you can only work part-time on your student visa - how on earth are you going to support a child with part-time income? This includes things like having to rent a bigger property (which even full-time employed people sometimes struggle to do), buy clothes, medical requirements etc.

Then there's the issue of the adjustment for your child - having to adjust to the UK for three years only to go back and adjust again to the US. Do you have any support structure in the UK? Do you know anyone here?

I'm not saying it's impossible - but you need to think this through. The impact on both of you coming over for three years - not sure if you know anyone here or if you can get financial help from the States if need be, but things are not as cheap in the UK as in the US - what you think you can survive on there, is not necessarily the same here.

suarezi
Newly Registered

Post by suarezi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:42 am

talk.uk-yankee.com

I think they will be able to give you a better overview of their experiences

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Re: Do I realistically have any shot at all?

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:58 am

Universities usually have more than just "dorms" or halls of residence available. Many mature students (over 21) go to university. I was able to rent a small furnished two bedroomed house from my university for example. The rent was very reasonable, however the house was furnished in a basic but clean "dorm" style!! Your proposed uni will be able to tell you what is available through them or the likely cost in the local area to rent privately.

You can enrol them in a local school for free. but this may not be the closest one to where you will live. In some areas in the south east there are more children than school places.

You both be able to use the NHS for free, and children do not need to pay for prescriptions.

There are after school clubs and breakfast clubs at many schools, and universities have schemes for the children of staff and students during the holidays. In my experience university schemes are often over subscribed.

You will not be the first to have a child and go to university. Obviously you will need more money than a single student. Whether it is doable is something you need to research.

Please note that there will be restrictions on the number of hours you can work in term time. University students can work full time in their holidays, but then the issue of suitable childcare will important. You may not be able to find suitable work at all, so please factor that in to your budget.
jackuk778 wrote:I'm from the usa. I plan to save up as much money as possible and also apply for a federal college loan here at home and use it to pay for tuition at a school in the UK, perhaps the University of Sussex, which participates in an international student program . I plan to get a student visa and live, study and work part time in the UK for three years.

If that isn't ambitious enough, I have a nine year old child. I would need to bring my child with me, if this is possible, and enroll them in a free public school, if that is possible, take care of them, drop them off and pick them up from school unless there's a bus service, and do all the parental type stuff, while going to school and working myself.

I figure I can't stay in a dorm room with a nine year old child so I would probably need to pay for a flat or make some sort of special arrangements with the university but I suspect there's nothing they would be able to do for me.

I know this forum is more for technical info and less for this sort of thing but what do you guys think of this? Is this something other people do? Would I be the first American to apply for a loan in the usa, go to school in the UK while bringing their child along for the ride? I think going to school in the UK would benefit them as well and it would be a great cultural experience for the both of us. I just don't know if it's feasible.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:08 am

Oh, and unless you plan on living in an extremely isolated rural area, there is amost certainly not going to be a school bus service that picks your child up from home, it will be public transport, you, sharing the duty with other parents, walking, cycling and so on. Running a car in the UK is expensive. Luckily children travel for free or at very reduced rates on public transport in the UK.

suarezi
Newly Registered

Post by suarezi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:21 am

jackuk778

as much as you want an easy answer let me tell you that unfortunately they do not exist. I thought you had ancestry rights, and then you were marrying a EU citizen and then you were studying photography all this to get a job in England... remember the grass is greener...

if you want to move to the UK you need to visit and thoroughly read the UKBA website, you will have many more questions, but these will be very specific. Everyone in this forum will be glad to help you with your specific questions. If you don't want to spend time reading, then just get an immigration solicitor.

On a more personnal basis, it seems that you plan your life around finding a way to get into the UK, if you think it is worth have a look at the shortage skill list, you will see that geophysic engineers, nuclear engineers, ballet dancers and senior careers are in shortage, certainly geophysic engineers will not change in the next 10 years and as soon as you are qualified you will be able to apply for a work permit and move, furthermore, if rules changes I can assure you that oil and gas companies will be queueing to hire you!

do your homework, read, and always remember the old syaing about greener grass....

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:06 pm

if you really do have a child you will need to show sole responsibility for her/him .
pennyless

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:14 pm

319H(f).

Sole responsibility is a possible requirement.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:04 pm

mulderpf wrote:How sure are you that you can use your federal loan for studying outside the US? Somehow I do not think that the US Government will subsidise and guarantee a loan for studying overseas.
in fact US students an get a federal loan to fund studies overseas and many US students do this as fees here are lower than in the US. However from July 4th tier 4 students will no longer be able to bring dependents if they are studying an undergraduate course and are not government sponsored. I don't believe receiving a loan from your government is the same as being sponsored.

jackuk778
Newly Registered

Post by jackuk778 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the helpful answers and links. Looks like I have a very tough road ahead of me any way you cut it. I'll do more reading and research myself so I don't have to ask so many questions.