ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application - internship before starting WP

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Baje

ILR application - internship before starting WP

Post by Baje » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Hello

I first came to the UK on a student visa and then changed to a residence permit. When I started my current job I was working as an intern for 6 months before I was given my work permit in August 2006.

I just wanted to double check whether this would affect my ILR SET (O) application in any way. I always assumed that working as an intern whilst on a residence permit was allowed.

Also do you think it would be beneficial to get an immigration adviser to check my application? Or do most people just use advice from forums such as this?

Thanks!

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:32 pm

RESIDENT permit with no work visa

will cause of trouble otherwise ok

weather training or work , visa is required otherwise break of law
CDOKS

tier1extension

same

Post by tier1extension » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:42 pm

i was in same situation, but i assume student visas are allowed to work full time when not in school, or after graduated in university. so i guess that time u were working before getting work permit can count as full time internship and cause no trouble. otherwise i myself will be in trouble! can anyone confirm pls?

Baje

Post by Baje » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm very confused. If a moderator or anyone else in the know could shed some light that would be great thanks! Just checked my passport again

Sep 2004 - Oct 2005: student visa
May 2005 - Nov 2007: residence permit
Aug 2006 - Aug 2011: work permit

I was working at the company from Feb 2006 - April 2006 as an intern and then from April 2006 - Aug 2006 as a contracted employee. They then applied for a work permit for a full time position.

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:10 am

Baje wrote:I'm very confused. If a moderator or anyone else in the know could shed some light that would be great thanks! Just checked my passport again

Sep 2004 - Oct 2005: student visa
May 2005 - Nov 2007: residence permit
Aug 2006 - Aug 2011: work permit

I was working at the company from Feb 2006 - April 2006 as an intern and then from April 2006 - Aug 2006 as a contracted employee. They then applied for a work permit for a full time position.
Find your passport, in that find that residence permit visa and read what it says regarding entitlement to work. post that back and we may be able to advise more.

Baje

Post by Baje » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks xyz123. It says Limited Leave to remain in the Uk. No recourse to public funds. Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State.

I called UKBA today to check and they asked under what basis that residence permit was issued and I genuinely cant remember. Assuming it must have been as an extension of my student visa but I can't recall. Was advised to send a letter requesting documents from the UKBA but that can take 40 days and my appointment is on 25 July.

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:28 am

Baje wrote:Thanks xyz123. It says Limited Leave to remain in the Uk. No recourse to public funds. Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State.

I called UKBA today to check and they asked under what basis that residence permit was issued and I genuinely cant remember. Assuming it must have been as an extension of my student visa but I can't recall. Was advised to send a letter requesting documents from the UKBA but that can take 40 days and my appointment is on 25 July.
Unfortunately i cant be of any help there, if you have lost your documents. Do you remember if you applied for it personally, through your university's visa centre or any employer. It looks unlikely to be from an employer based on what you have described. And as far as i know all work permits have to be applied for by emplyers. but on the other hand i think you are unlikely to have been given a 2 year extension to a student visa after completing studies!

You can check on student visa board on this forum re rules for working full time during vacation. apply for SAR today and see if you can postpone your ILR appointment to say a week before your current leave expires.

Baje

Post by Baje » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:44 am

Your mention of the university's visa centre triggered my memory so I'll call to see if they have records before considering postponing my ILR appointment.

Thank you for your help!