ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengan Visa visiting france?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Arrie
Newly Registered

Schengan Visa visiting france?

Post by Arrie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi There,

I'm sure you have heard this before but I cant seem to find a similar question.

I'm a South African and Married to a British Passport holder. I have my ILR visa in my SA passport and we are looking to go to France on short notice.

Do I need to apply for a Schengan visa even tho me and my wife will be traveling together to france for a short stay?

(We recently went to Greece nd there was no problem in getting through. Just showed ILR visa and in I went)

1 more year before I can apply for British Citizenship and say goodbye to visa problems... Rediculous.

Any help would be appreciated.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Arrie
Newly Registered

Post by Arrie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:11 pm

86ti wrote:Just one recent example: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=79742 .
My case is a little different to this one as my wife a British National from Birth. I'm assuming by reading this that the Directive 2004/38/EC applies to me then as I'm now a Family member of a EU National.

I have got a ILR Residence Permit issued in August 2009 for settlement so I'm assuming I can travel to France WITHOUT a schengan visa then.

If anyone thinks this is wrong and I need one and will be "turned back", please let me know...

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Your case isn't different at all. All that matters here is that you, a non-EEA national, are the spouse of a British national who wishes to cross an EEA border (not UK) together with you.

You should have followed the link in the first answer to arrive at http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 335#247335 which should readily answer your question.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Arrie,

Your UK citizen spouse will be exercising free movement rights in going to (another member state!) France. And you are going along!

Arrie
Newly Registered

Post by Arrie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Arrie,

Your UK citizen spouse will be exercising free movement rights in going to (another member state!) France. And you are going along!
Sounds like I understood it.
Thanks guys. Bring on the "Frogs" at customs, I will be equipted with printed out copies of the Directive 2004/38/EC.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Please report back after crossing the border! There are reports here that crossing into France this way is indeed possible. But further stories are very welcome here.

Arrie
Newly Registered

Post by Arrie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:14 pm

86ti wrote:Please report back after crossing the border! There are reports here that crossing into France this way is indeed possible. But further stories are very welcome here.
Sure thing will keep you updated

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:17 pm

I have put together a small guide to crossing without a "required" visa. Use at your own risk, but might be helpful to read. http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... to-travel/

Also includes extracts from Schengen border rules.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Re: Schengan Visa visiting france?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:15 pm

Arrie wrote:(We recently went to Greece nd there was no problem in getting through. Just showed ILR visa and in I went)
How did you get to Greece? Did you have any problems with airline staff?

It is always best to carry your marriage certificate with you when you travel in the EU so you can prove you have a family relationship with an EU citizen.

Arrie
Newly Registered

Re: Schengan Visa visiting france?

Post by Arrie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:50 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
Arrie wrote:(We recently went to Greece nd there was no problem in getting through. Just showed ILR visa and in I went)
How did you get to Greece? Did you have any problems with airline staff?

It is always best to carry your marriage certificate with you when you travel in the EU so you can prove you have a family relationship with an EU citizen.
I flew in with Easy Jet to Zante and they had to check with their suppervisor first at Check in to see if I will have any problems in Greece. After 3 mins wait all got cleared.

When I got to Zante I just had to go to a desk(rather than 1 guy just checking passports and waving people through) and at the desk they just checked my permit with my wife's passport and in I went!

It was very straight forward.

CHeck out the link on this site:
http://www.greekembassy.org.uk/Consular ... sOnly.aspx

At the bottom of the page it says the following

FAMILY MEMBERS OF EU/EEA/CH CITIZEN

A) For the family members of an EU/EEA/CH citizen the visa application procedure is simplified. The following people are defined as family members of an EU citizen:
â– The spouse;
â– The partner with whom the EU citizen has contracted a registered partnership, on the basis of the UK legislation.
â–  The direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependant, either of the spouse or partner; or the dependant direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as defined above.
â– Please, Provide the original passport (with a valid UK residence permit) and the passport of the EU citizen.

B) Required documents
â–  Original passport (with a valid UK residence permit) and the passport of the EU citizen.
â– 
Original certificate that proves the relationship of the applicant with the EU citizen (marriage certificate, other partnership certificate, birth certificate etc., please note that the marriage or the partnership needs to be registered with the competent authorities. Marriages between a Greek citizen and a third country national need to be registered with the relevant Municipality in Greece according to the Greek legislation). In case the marriage certificate has been issued from another country (other than the UK) an apostille stamp is needed or a validation from the relevant Embassy.

â– 
Proof that the applicant is accompanying the EU citizen or is going to join them (flight bookings or hotel accommodation or signed invitation etc).