ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is the diff bet : Self employed individual & Owning

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sureshep

What is the diff bet : Self employed individual & Owning

Post by sureshep » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me - what is the exact difference bet registering as Self employed and owning a Ltd company ?

What is the best practice guidelines to be followed if a person is extending his Tier 1 visa ?

Regards,
Suresh

sureshep

Post by sureshep » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:41 pm

Sorry to add a more detail reg 2nd question -

What is the best practice guidelines to be followed if a person is extending his Tier 1 visa using Self employment but not owning the Ltd Company ?

Regards,
Suresh

sej
Newly Registered

Same boat

Post by sej » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:35 pm

Suresh,

I am in the same boat. I just cant figure out what to do.

My renewal comes up next year in March and I am self employed. My trading business is registered with HMRC and has also filed returns last year.

I am wondering whether to convert it into a limited company to make documentation easier for my renewal.

A lot of people seem to be doing that instead of filing as Self employed.

Have you made any decision yet? Please share your findings if you have.

Would much appreciate it.

Sej

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:50 pm

I'll help a little more with the first question:

There are major differences between trading as a sole trader and trading as a company.

The main thing to remember is that a company is a different legal person to you as an individual. So as a sole trader you = the business but a company and you are two completely different things.

The legal responsibilities are far more stringent and complex if you are a director and there is more administration to complete. Also don't be surprised if your accountancy bills go up - there is much more work to do.

The tax situation will differ and it can often (but not always) be more of an advantage in incorporating. Also you do get limited liability in the case of things going wrong - basically as a shareholder in a company you can lose your investment but as a sole trader you can lose your house.

I would say that if you are considering incorporating do read up so that you let yourself know what you are taking on; unfortunately many people don't. The BusinessLink website is a good place to start - http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... 1073865730 - this is a government website so there is no advertising involved; it just tells you what the differences are.

Good luck!