ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling to many EU countries holding an UEEA Family Permit

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LAROCCAMOM

Traveling to many EU countries holding an UEEA Family Permit

Post by LAROCCAMOM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:45 am

Would my husband (Venezuelan national), need a visa if he hold an UK EEA Family Permit? We would like to go on holiday if possible.

Thank you
Laroccamom
Don't ask for an easier life, ask to be a stronger person.

EEA1 &EEA2 mailed: 28/11/2011
Received by HO: 29/11/2011
Residence Certificate Received: 19/12/2011
Spouse COA Received: 19/12/2011
Spouse RC Received: 1/3/2012

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Are you going to be traveling with him?

Belgium apparently lets EEA spouses travel on just the EEA Family Permit, though that is an exception rather than the rule as far as I know. You can take the Eurostar to Brussels for minimum hassle. Belgium is actually kind of a neat place.

This consular services page has a link to this free movement of family members document which describes.

You must travel together and should definitely also carry your marriage certificate. Once you get the Residence Card it is even easier!

Another option is traveling on the basis of other EU law. See: http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... to-travel/

Have fun wherever you go!

LAROCCAMOM

Post by LAROCCAMOM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:43 am

Yes, we will all travel together.
We would like to know since we are planning on traveling a lot on holiday and he is not an European national. Would we always need to carry our marriage certificate when traveling to demonstrate to the authorities that we are husband and wife? I heard about the Schengen visa that will let him travel without the need of obtaining a visa to every single country is that correct?
What else can he do?

Thank you
Laroccamom
Don't ask for an easier life, ask to be a stronger person.

EEA1 &EEA2 mailed: 28/11/2011
Received by HO: 29/11/2011
Residence Certificate Received: 19/12/2011
Spouse COA Received: 19/12/2011
Spouse RC Received: 1/3/2012

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:49 am

If you get a Schengen visa, you can relax and travel most anywhere in EU.

German visas are available by post and it is a wonderful country to visit!

I personally travel with the marriage certificate initially, and maybe a photocopy of it later. It is a super effective insurance policy in free movement terms...

dasjoker

Post by dasjoker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:31 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:If you get a Schengen visa, you can relax and travel most anywhere in EU.

German visas are available by post and it is a wonderful country to visit!

I personally travel with the marriage certificate initially, and maybe a photocopy of it later. It is a super effective insurance policy in free movement terms...
instead of taking risk why people don't apply for Schengen visa i have seen a lot of people on this forum asking same question. I don't know another country but if you are family member of Germany it's free of charge to apply and you don't even need to go to embassy you can send by post also as guru said you can relax and you don't need to carry your marriage certificate all the time.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:40 am

dasjoker wrote:instead of taking risk why people don't apply for Schengen visa i have seen a lot of people on this forum asking same question. I don't know another country but if you are family member of Germany it's free of charge to apply and you don't even need to go to embassy you can send by post also as guru said you can relax and you don't need to carry your marriage certificate all the time.
Relaxing is nice.

But I don't think people are taking much real "risk" per sae if they are traveling with their EU spouse and carry proof of their relationship.

It is also very important to be aware of your free movement rights and to exercise them. It educates border guards and visa people and national agencies, and slowly slowly they are starting to respect and even support those rights. The thousands of people who have done their small bit have made this happen.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:50 am

Venezuelan nationals are non-visa nationals with respect to the Schengen zone.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:53 am

86ti wrote:Venezuelan nationals are non-visa nationals with respect to the Schengen zone.
Ouch! Good point. Book your tickets today for the weekend flights!

You can carry your marriage certificate with you for an extra level of insurance.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:55 am

I would actually strongly recommend to carry a properly certified and translated marriage certificate to make sure that the husband enters as a family member and not just 'merely' as a tourist.