ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 CoS and Immigration Cap

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lokster01
Newly Registered

Tier 2 CoS and Immigration Cap

Post by lokster01 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Would appreciate if someone could answer my question. In short, is the immigration cap implemented by restricting the CoS? Or through some other method?

Long story: I am applying in-country to change my visa from student to Tier 2 (General). My employer has issued a CoS for me and is mostly handling the process. My concern is: does the immigration cap still pose a problem to my application? Or is the fact that a CoS has been issued imply that the cap is not a concern? I understand that there's probably a hundred other things that could go wrong with the application, but with respect to the cap alone, do I still need to be worried about my application being rejected because the monthly cap has been reached?

Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 2 CoS and Immigration Cap

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:52 pm

lokster01 wrote:My concern is: does the immigration cap still pose a problem to my application?
No, the cap only applies to entry clearance applications (i.e. - applications submitted outside the UK).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

lokster01
Newly Registered

Post by lokster01 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Oh. Great. I feel like an idiot.

Hang on, so that means if I had gone home for vacation a few weeks back and applied from there, I'd automatically face a bigger hurdle than applying from here. Strange...

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Not strange ..

Cap applies to people outside the UK or in UK in an immigration category which doesn't allow change to Tier 2 category from within the UK. It does not apply to those already in the UK in an immigration category that allows change to Tier 2 category from within the UK.

Also, you cannot use an "unrestricted" CoS (assigned specifically for in-country / leave to remain application) to apply for entry clearance application. If you "choose" to apply from outside the UK, the employer will need to issue you a "restricted" CoS, which will be approved subject to conditions prescribed by UKBA to enforce and manage the immigration cap.

So, if you go home on vacation and apply for entry clearance using an "unrestricted" CoS, your application will be refused and UKBA may initiate disciplinary proceedings against your employer for assigning an unrestricted CoS for an entry clearance application.

Read the policy guidance for more details and explanation of terms used above.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!