ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification on absence calculation (departure date)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Baje

Clarification on absence calculation (departure date)

Post by Baje » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:14 pm

As you dont get stamped when leaving the UK, should you put your departure date as the date you arrived at your destination as appears in your passport? I know that I must have done overnight flights but I dont have the flight records from that long ago.

I've emailed airlines to see if they keep that information but havent had any replies and not holding out much hope.

My PEO appointment is in 3 weeks so advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:06 am

The safest is to use the day before the entry stamp as the last day in the UK, otherwise you will end up double counting days and it would look like there's more than 365 days in the year.

Baje

Post by Baje » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks mulderpf! I'll use the day before the arrival stamp as my departure date then.

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:29 am

Don't count travel dates as absences from the UK. If you were in the UK for 1 minute during the day then it's not an absence. This (slightly) helps some people who are close to the stupid 180-day maximum absences from the UK in a 5-year period.

Baje

Post by Baje » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Slightly confused now. Are you advising NOT to use the day before the arrival stamp as I may be counting days when I was actually in England as absences?

Thought it was better to be safe and overestimate rather than say I left on 14 Jan when I actually left on 13 Jan on a overnight flight for example.

I'm at 142 days with overestimation.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Is that 142 including all holidays? In that case you are more than fine and personally, I would leave it at that. That is very consistent with annual leave and holidays and unless you were out of the country for long periods of time at once (e.g. full 142 in one or to goes), I wouldn't even worry about it. It would be difficult to prove that you were not based here continuously...

Baje

Post by Baje » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Yes that's all absences out of the country. Thanks mulderpf!