ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

breakdown of marriage

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dontknow
Newly Registered

breakdown of marriage

Post by dontknow » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:23 pm

I am a SA citizen. Married UK citizen and we moved to UK. We have not been married a year. Things are going horrible wrong. It is not the person I have married. Have become abusive and vilant. Might have mental problems. Dont know what to do? What rights do I have in the UK? How do I get out of this marriage. Married in SA.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:04 pm

Sorry to hear about that. Is there any evidence of the domestic violence? Have the Police been involved? The Social Services? Do your doctor's records include evidence of any injuries? Or have you needed to go to A&E because of domestic violence?

If there are records of that type then there is hope for you to get ILR because of that domestic violence. However if there is not supporting evidence then any such claim would be doomed to fail.
How do I get out of this marriage.
The answer is clear .... divorce! But in the UK a divorce petition cannot be filed until one year after the marriage date.
John

dontknow
Newly Registered

Post by dontknow » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:06 pm

hi John,
thanks for taking the time to write. What is a IRL? I have moved out. I was not safe anymore. We got married in SA. So to look at the laws there would probably be my first option when it gets to divorce. Been threaten with immigration. Dont know how that will work cause we got a 2 year visa for me when we came back.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:32 pm

ILR? Indefinite Leave to Remain. What you need after the 2-year spouse visa to remain in the UK. Well certainly what a person, living with their spouse, would ordinarily hope to get.

Is there any independent evidence of domestic violence?
John

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:39 pm

Whats your current immigration status in UK?
Where there is a will there is a way.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:43 pm

dontknow,

John has responded in some detail to your queries to which I concur. Appropriate evidence is required because it is the case that just as domestic violence does occur so do false allegations of such get made (not saying this is the case here).