ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post study work to Tier 2 ending. Very concerned

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cipherap15
Newly Registered

Post study work to Tier 2 ending. Very concerned

Post by cipherap15 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:31 am

I am doing my masters in actuarial science next year but this Post study to Work to tier 2 sponsorship change is really concerning me. I'm from Canada.

Do companies give tier 2 sponsorships or when they see that in the application do they just toss it aside? I am thinking about dropping my masters course if getting a tier 2 is difficult. How difficult is it?

Any advice is much appreciated.

madona587
Member of Standing

Re: Post study work to Tier 2 ending. Very concerned

Post by madona587 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:17 pm

cipherap15 wrote:I am doing my masters in actuarial science next year but this Post study to Work to tier 2 sponsorship change is really concerning me. I'm from Canada.

Do companies give tier 2 sponsorships or when they see that in the application do they just toss it aside? I am thinking about dropping my masters course if getting a tier 2 is difficult. How difficult is it?

Any advice is much appreciated.
First of all whats your current visa status ? Are you on a student visa or PSW ?

If you're on Student visa you can apply for PSW once you get your Masters done. Which will give you 2 years. (Unless its reduced to 1 year or even completely abolished as rumored, We don't know this yet) In this time you can apply and find a job in your sector. If you earn enough in the job and the company is willing to sponsor you, You can apply for TIER2 (Given your company registered with home office and you get a COS assigned) Which will give you up to 5 years given you still have the job.

Hope this helps.

cipherap15
Newly Registered

student visa

Post by cipherap15 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:01 am

I have a student visa starting sept 2011....i wont be graduating with my Msc until june july of 2012.....the changes for PSW are gonna take effect in april 2012.....so unfortunately I wont be able to take advantage of the PSW.....thats where my concern lies.....and why im questioning how difficult it is to get a tier 2 visa....

im pretty sure all actuarial companies are registered to sponsor....im also assuming the majority of my actuarial class will be foreign and not from the UK.....im assuming companies will sponsor student cause what other choice do they have?

I dont like the new UK changes.....i think the current PSW is to relaxed.....but I think if you graduate with a masters degree you should be allowed to look for work without sponsorship at least in your line of study.....I understand not letting students who graduate with a bachelors degree getting PSW......but it shouldn't include the masters and PHd level....they should be exempt from that rule....

mt_dilber

Re: student visa

Post by mt_dilber » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:33 pm

cipherap15 wrote:I have a student visa starting sept 2011....i wont be graduating with my Msc until june july of 2012.....the changes for PSW are gonna take effect in april 2012.....so unfortunately I wont be able to take advantage of the PSW.....thats where my concern lies.....and why im questioning how difficult it is to get a tier 2 visa....

im pretty sure all actuarial companies are registered to sponsor....im also assuming the majority of my actuarial class will be foreign and not from the UK.....im assuming companies will sponsor student cause what other choice do they have?

I dont like the new UK changes.....i think the current PSW is to relaxed.....but I think if you graduate with a masters degree you should be allowed to look for work without sponsorship at least in your line of study.....I understand not letting students who graduate with a bachelors degree getting PSW......but it shouldn't include the masters and PHd level....they should be exempt from that rule....

dont panic. even if there will be changes in PSW, there will be a transitional arrangement for students who has already been enrolled that is a standard operating procedure of UKBA , so have a chilled glass of beer.