ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK SPOUSE VISA

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 am

Comparison of CEFR Levels and IELTS Band Scores

CEFR Level A1 = IELTS 1.0-2.5
CEFR Level A2 = IELTS 3.0
CEFR Level B1 = IELTS 3.5-4.5
CEFR Level B2 = IELTS 5.0-6.0
CEFR Level C1 = IELTS 6.5-7.0
CEFR Level C2 = IELTS 7.5-9.0

Easy Tiger

Post by Easy Tiger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi, I would like to let you all know that the IELTS exam results my wife achieved will not meet the band requirements on the new ukba approved test and providers list which comes into effect on July 18th.

I have had it confirmed with a solicitor from her and also from India that if you submitt your application with the band levels which are mentioned in my earlier post , you application will be refuse and no refund will be given.

My wife has been advised to do the ESOL course but which should you do as their is so Manu ESOL courses to chose from.

Thank you

sweetmissy

Post by sweetmissy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Who told you this?

Where does it say that her score will no longer be accepted?

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Transitional arrangements - spouses and partners

If you apply as a spouse or partner, and we receive your application on or before 17 July 2011, you can demonstrate your English language ability using a test (whether booked or taken) that is on the existing list of approved tests for partners.

From 18 July 2011, only tests on the new list can be used to demonstrate your English language ability as part of a spouse or partner application.

sweetmissy

Post by sweetmissy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:08 pm

PHEEEEW....

Thank you for clarifying that Flyguy. My husband took his on April 16th.

Do you know where i can get the link for that? only a friend through another forums hubby is taking the IELTS exam on the 28th. I know she'd appreciate knowing this new framework.

Thank you :)

Easy Tiger

Post by Easy Tiger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi, it's all been confusing to be honest I have talked to many people and researched on her and other websites. As of right now my wife meets the requirements - listening 4.5 , speaking 4.5 , reading 3.5 , writing 5.0 with the average being 4.5 band. But on the new ukba list you need band 4.0 in all four modules.

My lcoal solicitor who are met today told me that the ukba requirements 4 band in each module. I can submit the application with current IELTS certificate but there's is strong possibility you application will be refused. He also said two different clients have had their application refused which have gone on to the appeal stage which he should be overturned.

My wife also went to the British embassy or visa office and they told her that u can submit your application after July 18th as she is still awaiting some supporterd documents from me.

I'm getting really anoyed and upset with all this. So can you tell me what ESOL vours my wife needs to do.

Thank you

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:33 pm

IELTS is still accepted.

See link from the UK Border Agency

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... e-partners

The link to the new accepted tests are in this paragraph on the website

"Any test that is on our new list of approved English language tests (PDF 253KB opens in a new window) is acceptable to demonstrate your English language ability"

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:39 pm

As i said before IELTS measures from level B1 onwards, the spouse Visa requirements are level A1 or higher. From the scores your wife has reached she has exceeded level A1 and therefore is fine for the English Language requirements. Your solictor has some incorrect information it so seems.

sweetmissy

Post by sweetmissy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:55 pm

flyguy wrote:IELTS is still accepted.

See link from the UK Border Agency

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... e-partners

The link to the new accepted tests are in this paragraph on the website

"Any test that is on our new list of approved English language tests (PDF 253KB opens in a new window) is acceptable to demonstrate your English language ability"
Thank you flyguy :) most appreciated for that link, will forward to my mate

X

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:04 pm

No worries hope it all goes well for you and your friend missy

Easy Tiger

Post by Easy Tiger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi , thank you for all your quick replies to my questions much appreciated as always. I have read all that information you have provided me before annd the link the link on the ukba which has changes to the list of approve test and providers. It says minimum band required 4.0 in each module so not A overall one.

On the otherhand the ukba says a1 level of the common European framework equivalent or above , only speaking and listening.
Is it worth me taking a risk and paying £900 for my wife visa application and then told that my wife doesn't the requirements because she 3.5 in her reading while getting 4 or above in the rest.

Im not sure what to do to be honest and unless I get official confirmation

[/list]

shade00
Member of Standing

Post by shade00 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:00 pm

My wife did her A1 certification with some examining board called CIELT.
Thats not on the new revised list so she has to take another exam now. I think she will be taking Pearson PTE A1. It has 2 year expiry.

Easy Tiger

Post by Easy Tiger » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:55 pm

hi , i would like to know what ESOL course my wife should do as her IELTS band score achieved recently in which each module was above 4.0 except her raeding 3.5 band are no longer acceptable.

thanks

MaxPOWER
Newly Registered

Kindly reply

Post by MaxPOWER » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Dear all,

Thanks for all the information you have written. I've applied for a spouse visa for my wife in Apr.2011. I have submitted a number of English courses certificates issued from the British Council. The certificates states that my wife has acheived a competency level of English (B1).

Sadly however, my wife's application for settlement was refused a week ago based on the English requirement. I gather that the UKBA did not recognize the certificates that I have submitted.

My wife had an IELTS exam results taken a year ago but still valid (validity 2 years), in which she acheived an overall band of 3. The individual band scores were as follows:

listening 3.5
reading 4
writing 2
speaking 2

Because I was left with no choice, I have lodged an appeal against the UKBA decision, and submitted the IELTS test results as described above (overall band 3). I believe that the information given in the UKBA website is ambiguous and sometimes contradictory.

I'm kindly asking for your advise as to whether the IELTS band 3 is acceptable or not?? Also, how long to hear from the UKBA about the appeal decision??

Most appreciate your help. Thanks

MaxPOWER
Newly Registered

Post by MaxPOWER » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Any reply pleassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse :shock:

Easy Tiger

Post by Easy Tiger » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:05 am

Hi, I would like to know what ESOL test would be acceptable for the new Ukba English requirements for a uk spouse visa.

Like I have mentioned before my wife got her IELTS exam results near the end of June. She achieved 4.0 band or above one every module expect reading where she got 3.5. Now who ever I asked about these results , they all tell me it won't meet the Ukba new English reuirements on the new list.

I could apply but if my wife gets refused just because of 0.5 point she got in her reading test, it's gonna take 6months to appeal.

So I have heard that the ESOL is the easy test to do buy which one ?

Thank you

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:53 am

She only needs to demonstrate speaking and listening skills For the spouse visa. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... e-partners

In any event a score of 3.5 is higher than a1. Individual component Scores of 4.0 are at b1. An individual score of 3.5 is around a2.

See understanding ielts scores

See page 8 of the new list of approved english language tests this states that 4.0 is equal to B1 which is higher than A1.

Easy Tiger

Post by Easy Tiger » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi , individually or overall my wfes scores are at B1 Level. I have checked the new list of approve test providers before but as of monday 18th July when it comes into effect the IELTS general test is on their, the provider is the provder is the same. But even tho all her scores are B1 she only has listening , speaking , writing at 4.0 or above and reading at 3.5. On the new list u need 4.0 band in everything.

So it worth her submitting her visa application along with IELTS certficate she say. I'd she does and gets refused on the basis of only having 3.5 reading score, it wil take 6 months go appeal. I will also lose my fee.

kj29

Post by kj29 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:28 pm

Easy Tiger wrote:Hi , individually or overall my wfes scores are at B1 Level. I have checked the new list of approve test providers before but as of monday 18th July when it comes into effect the IELTS general test is on their, the provider is the provder is the same. But even tho all her scores are B1 she only has listening , speaking , writing at 4.0 or above and reading at 3.5. On the new list u need 4.0 band in everything.

So it worth her submitting her visa application along with IELTS certficate she say. I'd she does and gets refused on the basis of only having 3.5 reading score, it wil take 6 months go appeal. I will also lose my fee.
dear freind If you want advise from people on this website you must be prepare to listen to them so as they have said many times your wifes application will be ok on english language requirements so you should listen to them if you want something concrete just write to ukba or go to citizen advise as you are really worried about ur 900.00 fee

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Easy Tiger wrote:Hi , individually or overall my wfes scores are at B1 Level. I have checked the new list of approve test providers before but as of monday 18th July when it comes into effect the IELTS general test is on their, the provider is the provder is the same. But even tho all her scores are B1 she only has listening , speaking , writing at 4.0 or above and reading at 3.5. On the new list u need 4.0 band in everything.

Please read the links I have already posted.

To repeat

1) She does not need a reading score at all because she only needs to show speaking and listening for the spouse visa. The fact that her reading score is lower therefore doesn't matter.

2) In fact, a score of 3.5 in any one component is around A2 on the CEFR scale (in fact it is between A2 and B1), which is higher than A1, but, as stated above, she doesn't need to show she is at A1 in writing anyway.

The list does not say that she needs B1 in eveything. The list just sets out how the scores in the various tests sit on the CEFR scale. The list is used for other applications (e.g. student applications) where scores higher than A1 are required. IELTS is aimed at a higher level of english hence why the UKBA document only goes down to IELTS 4/CEFR B1. However, as already explained, your wive's scores are sufficient for the application she is making.

MaxPOWER
Newly Registered

Post by MaxPOWER » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:16 am

Can anyone help me in answering my question. posted previously, many thanks.

kj29

Post by kj29 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:29 pm

MaxPOWER wrote:Can anyone help me in answering my question. posted previously, many thanks.
can u please write your question in full so someone can answer for u

Easy Tiger

Sponsorship letter

Post by Easy Tiger » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi , I really nee some help in writing a sponsorship letter for my wife's uk spouse visa application.

Can some one tell ms how the letter should be structured and what information should be included inorder.

I would even appreciate it you write example of letter!

Thank you

ENav
Newly Registered

Re: Sponsorship letter

Post by ENav » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Easy Tiger wrote:Hi , I really nee some help in writing a sponsorship letter for my wife's uk spouse visa application.

Can some one tell ms how the letter should be structured and what information should be included inorder.

I would even appreciate it you write example of letter!

Thank you
sir for this you should consult some lawyer

ENav
Newly Registered

ILETS 5.0 band

Post by ENav » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:16 pm

i have got over all 5.0 band in ILETS. Do i qualify for spouse visa english language requirements . ?