ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Writing my own employer reference letters--any tips?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

giblet
United States of America

Writing my own employer reference letters--any tips?

Post by giblet » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:46 am

All of my previous employers have asked me to write the letter that describes my job duties. They will then read them, make sure they are an accurate representation of my position, then print them on letterhead, sign and return to me.

It appears that I'm in a fortunate position. I'm slightly concerned that a few of my jobs may not appear to be graduate level. (The ones I am concerned about were 2 different Sales & Marketing Assistant jobs)

I'd like advice on how to format these letters--I can't find any example letters. What I'd like to see is how people formatted them, do you do bullet points? Write each duties and then give an in-depth description? I'm not sure how I can relate specific points to skills I gained in college. I'm not even sure if I really did develop any specific skills in college, to be honest.

I've already printed out 3-4 job listings per job that have similar responsibilities and say that a BA degree is required.

Are there any other specific 'buzzwords' I should use?
So far, I'm planning on including 'graduate level,' 'full time' and 'high level of analytic skill.' Is there anything out I should point out (if it's actually applicable)? I'm not sure how long to make these--I'm worried if I put too much information it will be overwhelming.

I'd love to see some sample letters, templates or formats. I've searched the site, and while I have seen mention of templates floating around, I haven't actually found them.

Thanks so much!

purplepundit
Newly Registered

Post by purplepundit » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:06 pm

nikhil

Post by nikhil » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:48 pm

There is a section in this post which has posted the case worker's manuals. I wil suggest you get those manuals and read them thoroughly and then draft your own letters. I had spent around 3 hours on my first letter after reading that manual!

pateketu

Post by pateketu » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:03 am

giblet
United States of America

Post by giblet » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:17 am

Thanks for your help and for the samples.

I noticed in the letter linked above, that the employer mentions that the applicant doesn't have a degree at the time of the employment.

I also have two jobs which were graduate level, but I didn't possess a degree at the time. Should I explain that in the letters, or should I just hope that the caseworker doesn't do the math and realize that I had some of these jobs before receiving the degree?

pateketu

Post by pateketu » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:11 am

Actually I was in Master's program when I joined my first real job, the job did not require a Master's degree it only required a Bachelor's degree. My reference letter for that job inlcuded something similar to the link above i.e. It mentioned, I was enrolled in Master's Program but the job only required a Bachelor's degree

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:43 am

MS degree is not important. BS is enough. Becouse if you have BS this will considered as graduate level experience. :)

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:50 am

MS degree is not important. BS is enough. Becouse if you have BS this will considered as graduate level experience. :)

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:00 am