ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian with IRL

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anin
Newly Registered

Canadian with IRL

Post by anin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi so I got my ILR in January which was awesome! It's in my Canadian passport and I was wondering - when my Canadian passport runs out if I decide to go for another Canadian passport would my IRL still be good in my old passport? Obviously the other option is just going for the British passport which I'll more then likely do but just wanted to know my options :)

Also if your have an ILR through marriage to a british citizen I know you can apply a year later but it's ok to wait right? That's probably a really stupid question but if there's one thing I've learned from this process it's that it's best to be informed!

Oh and you can go to university here with an ILR right?

anin
Newly Registered

Post by anin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Oh well I did find this:

You do not need to transfer your residence permit to your new passport. If you choose not to transfer your permit, you should carry both your old and new passports when you travel to the UK

So that's cool :)

99minus8
Newly Registered

Re: Canadian with IRL

Post by 99minus8 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:18 pm

anin wrote:Hi so I got my ILR in January which was awesome! It's in my Canadian passport and I was wondering - when my Canadian passport runs out if I decide to go for another Canadian passport would my IRL still be good in my old passport? Obviously the other option is just going for the British passport which I'll more then likely do but just wanted to know my options :)

Also if your have an ILR through marriage to a british citizen I know you can apply a year later but it's ok to wait right? That's probably a really stupid question but if there's one thing I've learned from this process it's that it's best to be informed!

Oh and you can go to university here with an ILR right?
if i understood your questions correctly ( the ones you did not answer yourself) it is ok to wait, there is no requirement for you to get a citizenship. in fact a lot of people whose domicile country does not allow dual citizenship decide not to pursue a UK citizenship route. However, keep an eye on immigration news as the government frequently changes the relevant legislation and it may become more and more difficult to obtain naturalization in the future

Yes, you can go to a University with an ILR, you can work, etc. An added bonus is that you shall be paying lower fees than international students ( however, i am not 100% sure about the latter, so please check with the university in question)

Hope it helps) Good luck x

anin
Newly Registered

Post by anin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:28 pm

ah thank you yes that's great. I believe I will go for a British passport eventually but it's so expensive and my Canadian passport is basically brand new so my plan at the moment is to wait until that has about a year- 6 months left and will go for it then. I'm assuming getting a British passport at this stage shouldn't be too hard since once you've got your IRL you've already taken your 'Life in the UK' test and been through at least one of these processes before.

I imagine it being at least slightly easier then getting the ILR (obviously I could be wrong) but that just had so much paperwork! So much evidence was needed etc gah I'm sure this is said all the time on here but when people complain about immigrants do they realize what we go though?! :wink:

99minus8
Newly Registered

Post by 99minus8 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:43 pm

In a way it is easier. Just make sure that throughout the period you are on ILR you do not get any CCJ or Criminal judgement against you. Drive carefully etc. If you do get a ticket or something, do not go to court. settle it outside. the same for civil procedures. And when you apply for citizenship eventually, if present rules stand, make sure you are in the UK on the date you are applying exactly 5 years ago or if married to BC- 3 years + in the last year have not been outside the country for 90 days and 450 days in 5 years period ( not sure how many days for spouses if you are one)
x

anin
Newly Registered

Post by anin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:58 pm

99minus8 wrote:In a way it is easier. Just make sure that throughout the period you are on ILR you do not get any CCJ or Criminal judgement against you. Drive carefully etc. If you do get a ticket or something, do not go to court. settle it outside. the same for civil procedures. And when you apply for citizenship eventually, if present rules stand, make sure you are in the UK on the date you are applying exactly 5 years ago or if married to BC- 3 years + in the last year have not been outside the country for 90 days and 450 days in 5 years period ( not sure how many days for spouses if you are one)
x
Thanks 99 :) I don't drive and will try to stay out of trouble hehe I don't plan to be out of the country for long however is it ok if my spouse is? I have been here for nearly 3 years and yes did get my ILR based on being married to a British citizen but he's keen to take a trip to visit a friend of ours for an extended period of time. I believe this shouldn't be a problem though. Plus like I said I'm not going for it right away for above reasons. So by the time I apply I would have been here about 5 years anyway. :)

99minus8
Newly Registered

Post by 99minus8 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:07 pm

anin wrote:
99minus8 wrote:In a way it is easier. Just make sure that throughout the period you are on ILR you do not get any CCJ or Criminal judgement against you. Drive carefully etc. If you do get a ticket or something, do not go to court. settle it outside. the same for civil procedures. And when you apply for citizenship eventually, if present rules stand, make sure you are in the UK on the date you are applying exactly 5 years ago or if married to BC- 3 years + in the last year have not been outside the country for 90 days and 450 days in 5 years period ( not sure how many days for spouses if you are one)
x
Thanks 99 :) I don't drive and will try to stay out of trouble hehe I don't plan to be out of the country for long however is it ok if my spouse is? I have been here for nearly 3 years and yes did get my ILR based on being married to a British citizen but he's keen to take a trip to visit a friend of ours for an extended period of time. I believe this shouldn't be a problem though. Plus like I said I'm not going for it right away for above reasons. So by the time I apply I would have been here about 5 years anyway. :)
You right, should not be a problem :)

oh and also make sure your taxes are in order when you apply, if u are paying any. if not, thats ok, u dont have to be employed to apply )

anin
Newly Registered

Post by anin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 pm

after reading more on this forum - so once you apply for a passport you have to do an interview as well? Again not something that is pressing at the moment but wow

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:54 pm

All first time passport applicants have to attend an interview now...including those who are British born.

anin
Newly Registered

Post by anin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:57 pm

Casa wrote:All first time passport applicants have to attend an interview now...including those who are British born.
Just to be sure you are who you say you are I'm assuming? Good to know!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:32 am

anin wrote:I have been here for nearly 3 years and yes did get my ILR based on being married to a British citizen but he's keen to take a trip to visit a friend of ours for an extended period of time. I believe this shouldn't be a problem though.
It would be a problem if you spend too much time outside the UK - then you won't be eligible for citizenship any more.

If you want British citizenship, then apply for it as soon as you're eligible. If you delay, you may find that either your circumstances change, or the law changes, and you can't get it any longer.