ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU applicant - permanent residence?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lamaha
Newly Registered

EU applicant - permanent residence?

Post by lamaha » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello! I'm about to apply for BC but am nit sure about the following criteria:
If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or you are the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status if you have exercised EEA free-movement rights in the UK for a continuous five-year period ending on or after 30 April 2006. You do not need to apply for leave to remain. You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation.
What does the bolded part mean?

I have lived in the UK without break (apart from short holidays, the longest three weeks) since 2001.

I thought that EU citizens autromatically had permanent resiedence? Should I have applied for this seperately a year ago? Do I now have to wait a year to apply for BC?

Grateful for all help -- thanks in advance!

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:56 pm

This basically means you can only apply after 6 years in the UK, 5 years exercising treaty rights + 1 year.

You don't need to apply for a PR confirmation but when applying for citizenship, you will need to provide evidence proving you have exercised treaty rights for 5 years. The AN form used to apply for citizenship has a specific section to fill in for EU cases.