ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will receiving the 'health in pregnancy grant' mean refusal?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

marthamay
Newly Registered

Will receiving the 'health in pregnancy grant' mean refusal?

Post by marthamay » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Hello everyone, I'd really appreciate any views on this.

I'm currently on a spouse visa and have lived in the UK with my british husband for nearly 10 years (I was previously on an ancestral visa).
I am just about to apply for Indefinite Leave to remain but have noticed that one question on the form asks if I am receiving any benefits and it lists the HEALTH IN PREGNANCY GRANT.

Last year when I was pregnant with my son my midwife applied for this for me and I was assured that because I had been resident for so long it was not an issue. I did not realise that this was considered 'public funds' (I received maternity pay also which is not considered a 'public fund'). If I had thought it would jeopordise my chances at ILR I would never have accepted the money!

I would really like to know if anyone has successfully applied for ILR having already received the health in pregnancy grant?

Any advice appreciated.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:45 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... blicfunds/

Given that it's clearly listed there - and assuming your visa does say "no recourse to public funds" ... I'd suggest you repay it and write a cover note stating that you hadn't realised, and now you do - you've repaid.

M.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:15 pm

i think the information on the UKBA website is wrong.

If you read the immigration rules, para 6, the Health in Pregnancy Grant is not listed as a public fund:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... roduction/

Also if you read the public funds guidance, page 4, it states that the guidance was amended to take out any reference to the Health in Pregnancy Grant "This was never included in paragraph 6 of the Immigration Rules and must not be considered as a public fund"

Public Funds Guidance

marthamay
Newly Registered

Post by marthamay » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Thank you so much for the replies!
I've been reading all the relevant topics on this and it all seems very confusing and there is NO clear information on the website - it all seems to be contradictory.
When I filled in the HIPG form I ticked 'yes' when it asked about whether I was subject to immigration control and so then I was given a follow up call from HMRC. They woman said that as my husband was a UK national that I was eligible.

At the time (this was more than one year ago) I checked the information that had accompanied my visa and the HIPG was not included in their list of public funds.

I am thinking of writing to HMRC and stating that I did not realise that it was considered 'public funds' under immigration regulations and that I would like the chance to refund the money.

The other confusing element of the ILR form (M) is that the question is worded in the present continuous tense - i.e Are you claiming....?
As the HIPG is a one-off grant that I was awarded more than one year ago it feels as if I should not have to tick this. The ambiguity lies in that HIPG is one of the tick boxes. VERY CONFUSING.

On the one hand, I do not want it to look as though I am being deceitful but on the other hand, they need to make the form less ambiguous and correctly worded if they want this information. Can I add a side note? Could I tick the box but also include a letter stating my confusion?

Alternatively, I play it safe and refund the money ASAP and don't have to worry about it.

What do you think is the best course of action?

rajeshsubra
Newly Registered

ILR

Post by rajeshsubra » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Hello Martha,
I am in a similar situation as yours...didnt realise that Health in pregnancy is public fund...reading your post and replies, its not quite clear it is...
However, I do plan to return it back if it is an option.
What exactly did you do? Did you finally return it?
Please let me know...Thanks!
Raj

marthamay
Newly Registered

Post by marthamay » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:11 am

Hi, I just got my indefinite leave last week. Actually, they've now changed the application form and it no longer specifies the HIP grant so it's no longer an issue. What a relief! Best of luck.

rajeshsubra
Newly Registered

Post by rajeshsubra » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Dear marthamay,
Thanks for your reply. Congrats on your ILR.
I am taking the help of solicitors, who are advising me that the HIPG was considered public funds, and if the Home Office decides to check with HMRC on whether we have taken public funds, they may refuse the application.
However, considering this wasnt done in your case, hopefully it is ok. In any case, the application is going in my name with my wife and daughter as dependants, whereas the HIPG was done in my wife's name.

just to be safe, I would like to return this. do you or any of the other senior members (MPH80) know whats the best way to do so? On the HMRC website, there is no phone number for HIPG, only a postal address. Can I just write to them stating the confusion and attach a cheque for £190?

Please let me know!
Thanks!
R

marthamay
Newly Registered

Post by marthamay » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:00 pm

I honestly am not sure of the best way to return the money. When I received the HIPg I was pretty sure it was not classed as public funds and as it is a one of payment then it is extremely ambiguous. I'm assuming that this is the reason they have taken it off the most recent version of SET M.
It's just terrible when you have so much to loose and you are not sure.
I can certainly understand wanting to pay it back just for peace of mind!
I was very nervous about it but in the end I didn't repay the money and had no problem obtaining the visa.
Good Luck whatever you decide

rajeshsubra
Newly Registered

Thanks..

Post by rajeshsubra » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Martha,
Thanks - I have clarified, and my solicitor agrees that it shouldnt matter, since the HIPG is now taken out of 'public funds' in the immigration rules...
Just cleared the Life in the UK test today, first step..will submit my application in 3 weeks time.
Thanks,
Rajesh

ahmedahmed
Newly Registered

ILR -SET M , Healthin pregnancy grant issue

Post by ahmedahmed » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:40 am

Hi,
I am on spouse visa n ilr due in october, my wife is british citizen and got health in pregnancy grant, is there any issue for me cuz question in set m form if you or your partner getting benifits?

q=1 = please guide me that i have to mention yes ?
q =2 = is there any bank statment spesific amount requirement ?

regards

aosun007

Post by aosun007 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Health in Pregnancy grant is not relevant for the purpose of immigration rule as a public fund
It was not even mention in 7.6 of SET(M) form
so don't worry yourself.This is not public fund