ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement query

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LAROCCAMOM

Post by LAROCCAMOM » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Great!
Thank you.
Laroccamom
Don't ask for an easier life, ask to be a stronger person.

EEA1 &EEA2 mailed: 28/11/2011
Received by HO: 29/11/2011
Residence Certificate Received: 19/12/2011
Spouse COA Received: 19/12/2011
Spouse RC Received: 1/3/2012

LAROCCAMOM

Identity Cards

Post by LAROCCAMOM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:50 am

Is there such a thing as an identity card for non-EEA nationals that live in the UK?
My husband would like to obtain one. In the US we can get an ID card to show personal details including where we reside, DOB, and such.
He wants to obtain one in the UK but I don't know if that is possible. I have been trying to google it but I get nothing.
Anyone knows?
Laroccamom

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Identity Cards

Post by Greenie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 am

LAROCCAMOM wrote:Is there such a thing as an identity card for non-EEA nationals that live in the UK?
My husband would like to obtain one. In the US we can get an ID card to show personal details including where we reside, DOB, and such.
He wants to obtain one in the UK but I don't know if that is possible. I have been trying to google it but I get nothing.
Anyone knows?
no. The only thing similar is the biometric residence permit (which used to be called the identity card for foreign nationals) which is not applicable for the EU route as advised above.

Your husband can apply for a residence card once in the UK which will take the form of a sticker-like a visa-in his passport.

If he wants photo id with his address on he can apply for a driving licence.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Identity Cards

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:07 am

LAROCCAMOM wrote:Is there such a thing as an identity card for non-EEA nationals that live in the UK?
Anyone knows?
Unlike many other countries, the UK doesn't have an ID card or ID number for residents (British or non-British) and the Brits are proud of it. The previous government tried to introduce ID (compulsory for foreigners, voluntary for British) but the current government scrapped it as soon as they came into power.

There is no legal requirement to carry a proof of ID with you. Police don't just stop and ask you for an ID (that's why the UK is popular with illegal migrants).
The closest to an ID would be a UK driving licence. This doesn't hold any immigration information. Depending where from your current driving is, you might be able to exchange it for a UK one or you will need to sit and take a written test and a drive test.

alekos

Post by alekos » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:53 am

If you're lucky enough to look under 21, take a look at this http://www.pass-scheme.org.uk/
it's only good to prove age. I've never had any problem with my foreign national ID card when buying booze.
Day to day basis, that's the only example I can think of where ID was required of me.
Thank you everyone in this forum.

LAROCCAMOM

Post by LAROCCAMOM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Thank you everyone.
He'll just have to wait fo his driver's licence then.
Laroccamom