ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Unmarried Partners but Flag on System.. How long?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chrisw9
Newly Registered

ILR Unmarried Partners but Flag on System.. How long?

Post by chrisw9 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:35 am

Hi,

I am rather confused this morning. I have taken time to read through a lot of posts but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

My partner and I attended a 'fast track' appointment last week for my American girlfriend to apply for ILR based on our unmarried partnership status and following on from her previous 2 year visa status as unmarried partners.

We were told all our paperwork was in place and everything was fine. However, the officer said a 'flag' had shown up on his system which had to be checked by another dept. He kept all out papers including her passport. I believe I know what this flag is but I also know the issue was completely resolved around 1 year ago.

My question really is, how long will this process take?

My partner has no passport, no visa. She called immigration this morning and was told it will take up to 6 months!

6 months!? what can possibly take 6 months? what do we do in the meantime? she has no passport and no visa and so cant travel or work.

Do they really mean 6 months or is that what they say to everybody to stop people nagging them every day?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Chris

ouflak1

Re: ILR Unmarried Partners but Flag on System.. How long?

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:50 pm

chrisw9 wrote:Hi,

I am rather confused this morning. I have taken time to read through a lot of posts but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

My partner and I attended a 'fast track' appointment last week for my American girlfriend to apply for ILR based on our unmarried partnership status and following on from her previous 2 year visa status as unmarried partners.

We were told all our paperwork was in place and everything was fine. However, the officer said a 'flag' had shown up on his system which had to be checked by another dept. He kept all out papers including her passport. I believe I know what this flag is but I also know the issue was completely resolved around 1 year ago.

My partner has no passport, no visa. She called immigration this morning and was told it will take up to 6 months!

6 months!? what can possibly take 6 months? what do we do in the meantime? she has no passport and no visa and so cant travel or work.

Do they really mean 6 months or is that what they say to everybody to stop people nagging them every day?

Chris
Without more details on what the specific issue was, it is difficult to predict the outcome timewise. If by 'fast-track', you mean the premium service at a PEO, you should know that if there are certain issues regarding an applicant's immigration history, they can't normally apply for the premium service. In those cases, I do believe that your application reverts to typical postal timelines.

If your partner requires her passport, she can request it without abandoning the application (see the UKBA website). She can also request a separate travel document from the American consulate if need be (they are very quick about this). While her application is being decided, she retains her previous visa status, and all of the rights and privileges it conferred.

chrisw9
Newly Registered

Re: ILR Unmarried Partners but Flag on System.. How long?

Post by chrisw9 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:08 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
chrisw9 wrote:Hi,

Chris
Without more details on what the specific issue was, it is difficult to predict the outcome timewise. If by 'fast-track', you mean the premium service at a PEO, you should know that if there are certain issues regarding an applicant's immigration history, they can't normally apply for the premium service. In those cases, I do believe that your application reverts to typical postal timelines.

If your partner requires her passport, she can request it without abandoning the application (see the UKBA website). She can also request a separate travel document from the American consulate if need be (they are very quick about this). While her application is being decided, she retains her previous visa status, and all of the rights and privileges it conferred.
Thank you ouflak1.

I did indeed mean the premium service at Croydon. None of the 'certain issues' apply to my partner in this case.

The flag I refer to was a situation at passport control involving a misunderstaning of our relationship status. This was completely resolved at the time, and my partner has experienced zero problems at immigration control since then. I assume though, that the flag popped up on the system and they need to just verify what it was all about.

"While her application is being decided, she retains her previous visa status, and all of the rights and privileges it conferred." This is a particular relief, so thank you for letting me know that.

I have just found it very difficult to understand the process both then and now and its all a little unnerving.