ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New passport but visa is in Expired Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

danhd14
Newly Registered

New passport but visa is in Expired Passport

Post by danhd14 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Hello,

I have a YM Tier 5 visa that is valid until Jan 2012. I was in the UK until November 2010 but for personal reasons returned home. In Jan 2011 I had to get a new passport but at the time I didn`t switch my UK Visa into my new passport. I am now wanting to return to the UK and am wondering whether I can either a)transfer my non expired visa into my new passport or b)whether I have to travel with both documents (ie visa is still valid despite passport it is contained within being expired).
I found this on a Canadian Forum and am hopeful these rules apply when travelling to the UK as well:

Valid visas in expired passports
`If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre- IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.

It is not possible to "transfer" a valid visa into a new passport. If the holder of a valid visa wishes to have a visa placed in their new passport or if the passport is deemed ‘not valid' for political or security concerns, visitors must apply for a replacement visa by submitting a new application and paying the replacement document fee in accordance with R311(2).

If the applicant wishes to obtain a visa valid for a longer period in the new document, this will constitute a new temporary resident visa application and any applicable fees resulting from this new application will be collected. The previous visa will subsequently be cancelled.`

Any help provided would be invaluable!!

Cheers

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Travel with both passports.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

concerned _sponsor

Post by concerned _sponsor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Check out the official UK Visa website (not VFS) for transfer of visa ...

concerned _sponsor

Post by concerned _sponsor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... -passport/
concerned _sponsor wrote:Check out the official UK Visa website (not VFS) for transfer of visa ...

timarli

Post by timarli » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:58 pm

and if you're travelling with both passports dont panic when the officer writes 'VIPP' on the new one...

That stands for "Visa in Previous Passport" ;)