ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

4 months left on student visa. Can travel outside the UK?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

NikKol
Newly Registered

4 months left on student visa. Can travel outside the UK?

Post by NikKol » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Please let me thank all contributors of the forum - you are doing a great job.

I just finished study and working full time. My tier 4 expires Nov 2011 and degree is expected in July hence I can apply for PSW only after that.

There are some business trips are coming up and I need to travel outside the UK. I have read here that immigration officer can refuse entry at the boarder because my circumstances have changed (no longer a student).

So the question is whether I am allowed to travel freely and if yes, what shall I say at the boarder: that I work; going to apply for psw; going to the graduation ceremony?

Please help.

NikKol
Newly Registered

Post by NikKol » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:12 am

Is that right?

"International Students wishing to travel outside the UK towards the end of their studies
Tier 4 General visa holders are often granted between 2-4 months extra at the end of their studies to make preparations to leave the UK.

If a Tier 4 visa holder leaves the UK and re-enters after their studies are finished, they are not re-entering the UK for the same purpose as stated in their visa, i.e. they are not entering as a student, or if you do not intend to begin a new course. This may result in an Immigration Officer at the point of entry cancelling the student's visa, or Tier 4 General Student visa being exchanged for a Visitor visa. In these cases applications to other forms of visa are heavily restricted, e.g. Tier 1 (Post Study Work).

Students should take this into consideration when making plans to travel outside the UK at the end of their studies and, if they intend to switch to Tier 1 Post Study Work in the UK, they should avoid travelling until they have successfully applied for this visa."

Source: http://services.sunderland.ac.uk/intern ... vice/info/

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:14 am

Seems right 320(5).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

NikKol
Newly Registered

Post by NikKol » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks.

aviator1903
Newly Registered

Post by aviator1903 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:38 am

I don't think it should be a big issue regardless of what law says if you can convince the immigration officer on counter. I visited just before my visa ran out and was allowed as I satisfied the visa officer convincingly.