ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CP182
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa to Ireland

Post by CP182 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I am so confused about immigration to Ireland. My partner, who is Irish, and I, American, have decided to marry. We have a 5-month-old together. We just want the opportunity to be together and have our family together. We met in Jan of 2010 when I was on a visit to Ireland. I went back to visit a few months later and came home pregnant! I was able to visit Ireland another time and he came over to America for our child's birth. The whole time we maintained our relationship.

I'm very worried that immigration may refuse a spouse visa since I never lived with him in Ireland or he in the US. Even though we have a child together. Can someone help me with advice? I'm getting no sleep at night worrying over this. I just want my family. :(

CP182
Newly Registered

Post by CP182 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:05 pm

Anyone? :(

wizardland

Re: Spouse Visa to Ireland

Post by wizardland » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:46 pm

CP182 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am so confused about immigration to Ireland. My partner, who is Irish, and I, American, have decided to marry. We have a 5-month-old together. We just want the opportunity to be together and have our family together. We met in Jan of 2010 when I was on a visit to Ireland. I went back to visit a few months later and came home pregnant! I was able to visit Ireland another time and he came over to America for our child's birth. The whole time we maintained our relationship.

I'm very worried that immigration may refuse a spouse visa since I never lived with him in Ireland or he in the US. Even though we have a child together. Can someone help me with advice? I'm getting no sleep at night worrying over this. I just want my family. :(
hi,

sorry i had to edit my post, i wasnt reading ur post clearly. now my question is r u married already? i know u said uve decided but im not sure if u are leaglly married yet.

if u are, then:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

if u arent then:

Partner of Irish Citizen/Work Permit Holder/Green Card Holder and Persons Granted Long Term Residence

If you are:

the partner of an Irish Citizen/Work Permit Holder/Green Card Holder or person Granted Long Term Residence, in a long-term relationship that has existed for at least 2 years

or

a civil partner who has contracted a registered partnership, or is a party to a class of legal relationship specified in the Civil Partnership (Recognition of Registered Foreign Relationships) Order 2010 as entitled to be recognized as a civil partnership,

and

you wish to join your partner in Ireland or accompany them to Ireland, the following documents are required in order to have your application considered:

Fully complete the online application form, and submit your signed summary application form, photographs and fee (if applicable).
In addition to the signed summary application form, please also submit a signed letter of application

outlining your reason for coming to Ireland,
giving details of any members of your family who are currently in Ireland, or any other EU State.

Passport, valid for 12 months, and copy of previous passport if applicable. (If your passport is relatively new, it may assist your application if you provide your previous passport showing any previous visas for any other country, and your previous travel history)
If you have been refused a visa for any other country, details of this must be given. Submit the original letter issued to you by the authorities of that country. Concealment of visa refusals will result in your Irish visa application being refused.
A detailed statement of your bank account covering a six-month period immediately prior to your visa application, and showing sufficient funds to cover your costs
Evidence that you are lawfully resident in a country other than Ireland
Documentary evidence that will support the existence and durability of the relationship – e.g. Registration Certificate of partnership (if applicable) or evidence of common ownership of property, joint tenancy of property, on-going correspondence addressed to both partners at the same address, financial dependence/interdependence, or any other relevant documentation
A full account of relationship history – when and where you met, evidence of this such as visas, entry/exit stamps on the passport of your partner. Please note that for Immigration purposes it is not sufficient for a relationship to have developed solely over the internet or by telephone/sms. A relationship must include a number face to face meetings (excluding webcam) between the parties. You must satisfy the visa officer that the relationship is bona-fide.
Clear copy of spouse’s passport, or documentary evidence attesting to spouse's Irish citizenship.
Evidence of how your partner will support you financially – e.g. P60, payslips, bank statement for 6 months prior to application
Private Medical Insurance

If you have children (under 18 years) who do not hold Irish passports and therefore require a visa, a separate application must be submitted, along with a birth certificate, for each child.

If you wish a child (under 18 years) from a previous marriage or relationship to travel with you, evidence that you have been given full custody and access rights to this child must be shown (Court Order).

Where the other parent of this child has some custody or access rights, a sworn affidavit by this parent consenting to the child being removed from their home country is required.

NOTES

All letters submitted should be on official company headed paper and give full contact details for verification purposes. These must include a full postal address, name of contact, position in company, telephone number (landline) and email address where relevant. (Email addresses such as Yahoo or Hotmail are not accepted). Website address should also be included, if available. All of the above documents must be submitted with your application. All documentation must be in English or accompanied by a notarised translation. The provision of all the documentation listed in no way guarantees that a visa will be granted.

anyway heres the link to Diplomatic and Consular Information for United States of America:

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=5535

they should be able to help with ur situation better than me.

good luck

CP182
Newly Registered

Post by CP182 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:39 pm

wizardland wrote:
hi,

sorry i had to edit my post, i wasnt reading ur post clearly. now my question is r u married already? i know u said uve decided but im not sure if u are leaglly married yet.

if u are, then:

if u arent then:

Partner of Irish Citizen/Work Permit Holder/Green Card Holder and Persons Granted Long Term Residence

If you are:

the partner of an Irish Citizen/Work Permit Holder/Green Card Holder or person Granted Long Term Residence, in a long-term relationship that has existed for at least 2 years

or

a civil partner who has contracted a registered partnership, or is a party to a class of legal relationship specified in the Civil Partnership (Recognition of Registered Foreign Relationships) Order 2010 as entitled to be recognized as a civil partnership,

and

you wish to join your partner in Ireland or accompany them to Ireland, the following documents are required in order to have your application considered:

Fully complete the online application form, and submit your signed summary application form, photographs and fee (if applicable).
In addition to the signed summary application form, please also submit a signed letter of application

giving details of any members of your family who are currently in Ireland, or any other EU State.

Passport, valid for 12 months, and copy of previous passport if applicable. (If your passport is relatively new, it may assist your application if you provide your previous passport showing any previous visas for any other country, and your previous travel history)
If you have been refused a visa for any other country, details of this must be given. Submit the original letter issued to you by the authorities of that country. Concealment of visa refusals will result in your Irish visa application being refused.
A detailed statement of your bank account covering a six-month period immediately prior to your visa application, and showing sufficient funds to cover your costs
Documentary evidence that will support the existence and durability of the relationship – e.g. Registration Certificate of partnership (if applicable) or evidence of common ownership of property, joint tenancy of property, on-going correspondence addressed to both partners at the same address, financial dependence/interdependence, or any other relevant documentation
A full account of relationship history – when and where you met, evidence of this such as visas, entry/exit stamps on the passport of your partner. Please note that for Immigration purposes it is not sufficient for a relationship to have developed solely over the internet or by telephone/sms. A relationship must include a number face to face meetings (excluding webcam) between the parties. You must satisfy the visa officer that the relationship is bona-fide.
Clear copy of spouse’s passport, or documentary evidence attesting to spouse's Irish citizenship.
Evidence of how your partner will support you financially – e.g. P60, payslips, bank statement for 6 months prior to application

If you have children (under 18 years) who do not hold Irish passports and therefore require a visa, a separate application must be submitted, along with a birth certificate, for each child.

If you wish a child (under 18 years) from a previous marriage or relationship to travel with you, evidence that you have been given full custody and access rights to this child must be shown (Court Order).

Where the other parent of this child has some custody or access rights, a sworn affidavit by this parent consenting to the child being removed from their home country is required.

NOTES

All letters submitted should be on official company headed paper and give full contact details for verification purposes. These must include a full postal address, name of contact, position in company, telephone number (landline) and email address where relevant. (Email addresses such as Yahoo or Hotmail are not accepted). Website address should also be included, if available. All of the above documents must be submitted with your application. All documentation must be in English or accompanied by a notarised translation. The provision of all the documentation listed in no way guarantees that a visa will be granted.

anyway heres the link to Diplomatic and Consular Information for United States of America:

good luck
Thank you, Wizardland. No, we have not married. I am looking to come over next month to get the ball rolling. I know there is a 3-month waiting period. I just worry with us having never lived together, despite having a child together they will try to deny our relationship.

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:32 am

i totally understand ur worry, i can relate but if all documents are sufficient and you have proof of ur relationship ie photos, emails, cards... etc, fingers crossed u should be fine.

try consulting with the Irish embassies, I hope they can help u.

Good luck

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 am

You should be OK--don't lose sleep over this. I'm assuming that your partner's name appears on your child's birth cert, so I really don't foresee major difficulties.

First thing to do is to familiarize yourself with this FAQ: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

As you're American, you don't need a visa for entry into Ireland. All you must do is present yourself to the nearest Garda (i.e police) station with the documents outlined in the FAQ.

The most important thing to be doing right now from an administration point of view is to have your partner add you to utility bills. Once you have some bills and bank accounts in both your names, then it should be clear sailing.

Good luck.

CP182
Newly Registered

Post by CP182 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:32 pm

sideshowsue wrote:You should be OK--don't lose sleep over this. I'm assuming that your partner's name appears on your child's birth cert, so I really don't foresee major difficulties.

First thing to do is to familiarize yourself with this FAQ: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

As you're American, you don't need a visa for entry into Ireland. All you must do is present yourself to the nearest Garda (i.e police) station with the documents outlined in the FAQ.

The most important thing to be doing right now from an administration point of view is to have your partner add you to utility bills. Once you have some bills and bank accounts in both your names, then it should be clear sailing.

Good luck.

Thank you, everyone! You are calming my fears. Would you recommend me coming in on a holiday visit and registering for marriage? I don't know what their definition of sufficient funds means.
Also, I see that I need to have private medical insurance there to apply for my visa?

CP182
Newly Registered

Post by CP182 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:45 pm

CP182 wrote:
wizardland wrote:
hi,

if u are, then:

if u arent then:

If you are:

or

and

NOTES

good luck
Thank you, Wizardland. No, we have not married. I am looking to come over next month to get the ball rolling. I know there is a 3-month waiting period. I just worry with us having never lived together, despite having a child together they will try to deny our relationship.

Hey guys,

I CANNOT find this out anywhere. Is it allowed to have a co-sponsor in Ireland? Such as my mother-in-law in Ireland?

Thanks, again!! :)

churada
Newly Registered

Post by churada » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:00 am

CP182, don't sweat it.
My wife is living with me here now with a full Stamp 4 visa. We had a LDR relationship for a couple of years and she never even was able to come here because of the difficulties in getting even a tourist visa to visit from China (where shes from).
The only time we stayed to together was on my trips over to China.

We got phone records,photos and made a detailed account of our history together. Her visa was approved in a week after applying for it, in fact it took a lot longer getting phone records, photos printed etc etc than actually getting her visa.
I can only imagine that as you have been here already and are not from a country associated with scam marriages that you will have no problem at all.
Make a list of stuff you need to support your application, double check, triple check you got everything needed and you'll have no problems at all.

newbieholland
United Kingdom

Post by newbieholland » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:54 am

churada wrote: I can only imagine that as you have been here already and are not from a country associated with scam marriages that you will have no problem at all.
Can you please name the countries associated with scam marriages? :lol:

CP182
Newly Registered

Post by CP182 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:23 pm

churada wrote:CP182, don't sweat it.
My wife is living with me here now with a full Stamp 4 visa. We had a LDR relationship for a couple of years and she never even was able to come here because of the difficulties in getting even a tourist visa to visit from China (where shes from).

We got phone records,photos and made a detailed account of our history together. Her visa was approved in a week after applying for it, in fact it took a lot longer getting phone records, photos printed etc etc than actually getting her visa.
I can only imagine that as you have been here already and are not from a country associated with scam marriages that you will have no problem at all.
Make a list of stuff you need to support your application, double check, triple check you got everything needed and you'll have no problems at all.
Thank you, churada! I feel better after reading your post! Did you marry in China or Ireland? I'm trying to figure out where it would be best!! Ireland has the 3-month waiting period. Blah! I know that a lot of people probably inquire this part as well, but - does ANYONE know what their looking for when they say "sufficient funds?" Are they basically just wanting to see that he's working?? He doesn't make a ton of money but he works fulll-time. Other family members (in Ireland) have also stepped in and said they'd be happy to show they would help financially if need be. Do you know if we could use that as well with immigration?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

CP182
Newly Registered

Post by CP182 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:24 pm

CP182 wrote:
churada wrote:CP182, don't sweat it.

Thank you, churada! I feel better after reading your post! Did you marry in China or Ireland? I'm trying to figure out where it would be best!! Ireland has the 3-month waiting period. Blah! I know that a lot of people probably inquire this part as well, but - does ANYONE know what their looking for when they say "sufficient funds?" Are they basically just wanting to see that he's working?? He doesn't make a ton of money but he works fulll-time. Other family members (in Ireland) have also stepped in and said they'd be happy to show they would help financially if need be. Do you know if we could use that as well with immigration?

Anyone? :( Help!

churada
Newly Registered

Post by churada » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:06 am

CP182 wrote:

We got married in China. We did consider getting married over here in Ireland but it seemed like an awful lot of extra paperwork to get to the same happy place in the end.
I don't know what figure is considered to be enough to support two people but as long as he is working in a full time job with a regular income then I'd imagine it shouldn't be a problem. I'm certainly not rich by any stretch of the imagination and there was no problem for us.