ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for my Child - expecting new baby

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gud
Newly Registered

Citizenship for my Child - expecting new baby

Post by gud » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Both my wife and I are on 'ILR' for just over a year now and both of us have been in the UK for more than 5 years. We meet the 'standard requirement' for Citizenship.

- We have an 18 month old son who was born in India and has Indian passport with 'ILR' stamped along with both of us in the UK a year ago
- He again went to India 4 months ago with grandparents.
- He is coming back in August 2011 to join us in the UK.
-effectively he has spent only 9 months in the UK so far.

My wife is expecting now and the baby is due in 7 months. We have not decided yet whether to have the delivery in the UK or India

My questions are

1. Can 3 of us (including my son ) apply for British Citizenship when he returns to UK next month (August 2011)?
2. If so, what is the fee? (for naturalization and passport) for all 3 of us.
3. OR, Is it cheaper (fee wise) to wait until the new baby arrives and apply for citizenship for all 4 of us afterwards?

Your advice will be much appreciated.
Last edited by gud on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boloney

Re: Citizenship for my Child - expecting new baby

Post by boloney » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:18 pm

gud wrote: 3. OR, Is it cheaper (fee wise) to wait until the new baby arrives and apply for citizenship for all 4 of us afterwards?

Your advice will be much appreciated.
if delivery gonna be in the UK baby will be born as British Citizen, so thats look like cheapest option :)

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:22 pm

1. Yes. 
2. See also fees for Joint AN1s and MN1.
3. Newborn will automatically be British otherwise than by descent, if born in the UK.
Newborn will be automatically British by descent if born outside the UK and at least one parent is British otherwise than by descent.
Therefore, suggest joint AN1 applications now. MN1 application when son returns.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Citizenship for my Child - expecting new baby

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 pm

1. Can 3 of us (including my son ) apply for British Citizenship when he returns to UK next month (August 2011)?
Yes.
2. If so, what is the fee? (for naturalization and passport) for all 3 of us.
Adult joint naturalisation application - £1294.
Child registration application - £540
Adult passport - £77.50 each
Child passport - £49

3. OR, Is it cheaper (fee wise) to wait until the new baby arrives and apply for citizenship for all 4 of us afterwards?
No point to wait. If you are granted citizenship before the new baby arrives, the baby will be British because he is a child to British parent (regardless if born in the UK or not). If he child is born in the UK, he is British from birth (regardless if your are British or not because you already hold ILR). Please note that applications can take up to 6 months and you needed to attend a citizenship ceremony within 90 after approval (in case your wife is planning to spend the last months of her pregnancy outside the UK).

gud
Newly Registered

Post by gud » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Thank you very much for your clarifications. I think i will apply for citizenship straight away. thank you all those who contributed.

gud
Newly Registered

Post by gud » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 am

I have one more question, if you do not mind. Should i get our citizenship first before i apply for my son's? or can all 3 of us apply for citizenship now? Please clarify. thank you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:03 am

All three may apply together, when your son returns.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.