ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Angry husband

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Radfall1
Newly Registered

Angry husband

Post by Radfall1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi I've read some really good advice on here and want some of my own.
I got married in 2008 and was granted ILR in 2011. My husband has now decided he wants a divorce and has threatened if I don't sign the papers he is going to ring Immigration.

My husband and I have been together for 8 years and we were very much in love but somewhere along the line we just ran out of steam.

I have asked him to wait until I have received my British Passport before we file for a divorce but he is refusing.

If he does ring immigration what is the possibility that my ILR can be revoked? and how will this affect my application for a British passport?

what would be the possible consequences for both of us if he does ring the HO as I dont think he realises?

Bob44

Re: Angry husband

Post by Bob44 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:17 am

Radfall1 wrote:Hi I've read some really good advice on here and want some of my own.
I got married in 2008 and was granted ILR in 2011. My husband has now decided he wants a divorce and has threatened if I don't sign the papers he is going to ring Immigration.

My husband and I have been together for 8 years and we were very much in love but somewhere along the line we just ran out of steam.

I have asked him to wait until I have received my British Passport before we file for a divorce but he is refusing.

If he does ring immigration what is the possibility that my ILR can be revoked? and how will this affect my application for a British passport?

what would be the possible consequences for both of us if he does ring the HO as I dont think he realises?
that wont affect ur status, if he doesn't want u go ahead and sign the papers and move on with your life, anybody correct me if i am wrong.

zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Post by zahid.ali.anwar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:43 am

The Indefinite Leave to Remain means settlement. Meaning no restriction attached to your visa.

So incase your hubby don't want to live with you. Send him a good bye wave and enjoy your life in UK. You can apply for british citizenship after one year of your ILR.

Even he rings UKBA, nothing will happen as you have not done anything aganist the interest of the state. If he is involved in domestic voilance, you can approach Police and can speak to UKBA aswell.
The question is... to be or not to be....

smkamran
Newly Registered

Post by smkamran » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:01 am

It won’t affect your ILR status.

However - if you apply on the basis of marriage you need to be in country for 3 years to qualify but if you apply on your own (let’s say divorced and he does not support you - hope not) then the requirement is 5 years.

So worst case you may have to wait 2 year extra (seniors correct me if I am wrong) - However it is unlikely that he can do any harm to your ILR, unless he can prove that you obtained your ILR in a fraudulent way (in that case he will be guilty himself as being part of the fraud). So not to worry at all.

May be good idea to consult a good immigration solicitor he may actually find you a way even a way to convince your husband to support

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:05 am

smkamran has given you good advice.

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:37 am

This seems to be perfect answer..Also, another point, if you see your ILR stamping, it would just say 'Indefinite Leave' - doesn't say partner or dependent.
smkamran wrote:It won’t affect your ILR status.

However - if you apply on the basis of marriage you need to be in country for 3 years to qualify but if you apply on your own (let’s say divorced and he does not support you - hope not) then the requirement is 5 years.

So worst case you may have to wait 2 year extra (seniors correct me if I am wrong) - However it is unlikely that he can do any harm to your ILR, unless he can prove that you obtained your ILR in a fraudulent way (in that case he will be guilty himself as being part of the fraud). So not to worry at all.

May be good idea to consult a good immigration solicitor he may actually find you a way even a way to convince your husband to support