ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax Credits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

simtaku
Newly Registered

Tax Credits

Post by simtaku » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:22 pm

I have been having a problem claiming my tax credits and child tax credits for almost 2 yrs now. In November of 2009 I made a new claim to include my husband who was now living permanantly with us. While I am a british citizen and so are our 3 children he is not and is in the country illegally. I have disclosed this information to hmrc. Yesterday I received a letter letting me know that our joint claim would not be paid out because there was no record of 1 adult on the aplication. My question is that can mine and my entitlement be disregarded because of my husbands status. He has not been able to put in an application to regularise his stay because we have not been able to pay for all the relevant stuff needed.
To top it all of I was made redundant begining of this year a few weeks after finding out I was pregnant again with our last child so at the moment we are all surviving on just my maternity allowance and child benefit. I am very confused as I assumed that I would at least be entitled to child tax credits. I hope you can help me understand this.

VT

Post by VT » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Hey, i'm not as educated as a lot of the guys on here who can help you. But i had exactly the same problem and it started in April last year. I only just got my first CTC payment in March of this year.
You need to keep on top of the HMRC and tell them the situation. If the advisor won't help you, which most of them CAN'T, ask to speak to a team leader of a manager. Do this every time you call. If you have a 'Community Legal Advice' service in your area, go to them, they will be able to help you, as CAB was confused when i went to them for help and even told me to lie to HMRC which won't get you anywhere.
My partner had to go for two interviews for a NINO which were both refused but in the end the HMRC decided that because they could identify him but couldn't trace a NINO for him, that he'd have a temporary NINO put on to our claim form. The thing is, it all works through computer systems, and cases like ours have to be hand dealt with. it's a long and stressful wait, i will not lie to you. But it'll work out in the end and they will HAVE to pay you. If you need any more help, PM me and i'll explain a bit better. But i'd definately seek advice from CLS.

pads

Post by pads » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi I had a problem once sorting tax credits out for my daughter when she finished college and registered with the connections service.

I agree with the above poster you need to keep ringing them,

But if you don't get no joy go down to the local tax office they might be able to sort it out for you, and if they can't they may be able to pay you in girocheques until they sort it out. That is what they did for me because it took for ever to sort out.

Love pads x

VT

Post by VT » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:40 pm

pads wrote:Hi I had a problem once sorting tax credits out for my daughter when she finished college and registered with the connections service.

I agree with the above poster you need to keep ringing them,

But if you don't get no joy go down to the local tax office they might be able to sort it out for you, and if they can't they may be able to pay you in girocheques until they sort it out. That is what they did for me because it took for ever to sort out.

Love pads x
They won't pay in giro :-( I tried but that is for people who they've confirmed eligable to claim but are waiting for some reason or another. If one person on the claim form can't be recognised, they won't class the BC as eligable for a giro. It's an awful situation to be in. Especially when you're living hand to mouth.