ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage - Living in Norway, wants to get married in the UK.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TheCurious
Newly Registered

Marriage - Living in Norway, wants to get married in the UK.

Post by TheCurious » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 am

I am not sure I posted this in the right forum now, I hope I did and if I didnt, I am sorry.

My boyfriend and I had a random discussion about marriage the other day. I am from Norway and he is from England. We are living in Norway, and we plan to do so in the future, but we want to get married in the UK (if we decide to get married that is).

He is a British citizen, and I am of course a Norwegian citizen. We don't know yet wheter he'll apply for Norwegian citizenship or not, but lets say he isnt applying for it before we get married - What would we have to do to get married in the UK? What would I have to do as a foreigner? Is this possible?

We wouldnt stay there, just have the ceremony and go back to Norway. And we wouldnt want to do it in any church, since we're not religious.

alekos

Post by alekos » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:41 am

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentc ... /DG_175717

As far as i know Norway is a EEA country. To marry in England you need to show you've lived in the area for 7-14? days, not sure of exact number.
Thank you everyone in this forum.

TheCurious
Newly Registered

Post by TheCurious » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks for replying :)

So I have to live in the UK for about two weeks to be allowed to get married in the country with my British (now) boyfriend, for then to go back home where we live (Norway)? I will check the link, thank you very much :)

TheCurious
Newly Registered

Post by TheCurious » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:47 am

And yes, Norway is a EEA country.

alekos

Post by alekos » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:53 am

You're welcome.
Since you both live in Norway, I suspect it'd be much easier to marry in Norway.
Have a lovely life together.

TheCurious
Newly Registered

Post by TheCurious » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:00 am

Thank you!

His family is much bigger than mine, and he is worried they might be very upset if he would choose to get married here. Since my family is very small and also since I would love to get married there (I love the place he is from so much) we thought we could do it there if it is possible.

Easier in Norway perhaps, because of the distance, but with Norwegian income it might even be cheaper to do it in the UK (this sounds weird, Im sure). What is important to me is that his family can be there.

TheCurious
Newly Registered

Post by TheCurious » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:57 am

If anyone else has any tips, links, experiences etc. then I would be very grateful :)

alekos

Post by alekos » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 am

the only "difficult" bit you're like likely to find yourselves in is, having proof of address in the UK.
http://www.get-uk-jobs.com/proof-of-address.html This sounds like a good plan, but I'm sure others will have more and/or better ideas.
Before you give notice of marriage, drive yourselves round as many register offices as you can. They all look different, some prettier than others, as you must know which one you'll have the ceremony in when you give notice.
Most staff are always happy to show you the place before you give notice, ask them about flower arrangement, deliveries, music, lighting?, photographers, etc.
From a male point of view, though we might give the impression of being annoyed at all the expense :roll: , time and effort required, we are thrilled to be getting married.

TheCurious
Newly Registered

Post by TheCurious » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:55 am

alekos wrote: From a male point of view, though we might give the impression of being annoyed at all the expense :roll: , time and effort required, we are thrilled to be getting married.
Haha, love this comment :D Atleast we agree on havnig it small and simple and NOT very expensive, cause unlike most women I am not interested in the big "posh" weddings.

Thanks again for a very good reply! This link is very helpful, I will show it to the boyfriend, and hopefully we'll be able to sort this when/if we decide to get married.

turret
Newly Registered

Post by turret » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Get married wherever the salmon served at the wedding is best ;)

We know where that is.