ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application Timing Question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hredderson

Application Timing Question

Post by hredderson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:15 am

I was wondering how long you have after completing the online UK Fiance Visa application until you must submit the supporting documents/have your appointment to submit everything.

I am in the US now and if I complete the application online (my only option from the US), when do I receive the information on all of the documentation required to support the application and how long will I have to put everything together before the application expires or is deleted?

I am assuming it is going to take at least a week, possibly two weeks to pull everything together document wise, so I was just looking for some insight into how that process and timing works.

Thank you!

mrsbean

Post by mrsbean » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:58 pm

I have applied for a UK visa in the US before... not the settlement kind (I applied for that one in Kiev, Ukraine).

This is how the process will go:

You will have 7 days to finish your application online (or you will have to start over). You can save it and return to it for a week, in case you don't know some answers in one sitting.

After you have submitted your application online, you will have to pay the fee by credit card (or at least that's how I paid mine). I don't think in the U.S. you have other options as they don't take payments in person.

Then you will be prompted to select a date and time for your biometric appointment that is done at the Homeland Security office in your state (usually the capital city of your state). They will give you several options for that appointment, whatever is more convenient to you - but I'd select those that are sooner rather than later.

Once you get your fingerprints/photo taken, you will have your appointment confirmation stamped with a biometrics number unique to you. You will have to send that piece of paper with you application as it's the only document UKBA will use to retrieve your biometrics.

It took me about a week an a half from the time I submitted an online application to the time I mailed all the supporting documents, including the biometric page. NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY MAIL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS IF APPLYING IN THE U.S. - they don't accept them in person or by appointment. You will be given an exact mailing address upon completion of your application.

I had my application processed at the Los Angeles facility - I applied for a visitor visa then (I am a Ukrainian citizen), it took only 48 hours to process and be approved.

NOTE: I would recommend to have as many supporting documents as possible at the time of application - as some documents may take quite a bit of time to be collected. Also, they might help with answering some of the application questions.

Hope this is helpful. Much of luck to you!

hredderson

Post by hredderson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Thank you SO much for your reply - the information is incredibly helpful and I really appreciate it!

One other question I do have - were you able to find a complete (detailed) list of all the supporting documents that would be required with the application prior to starting the application online? If so, could you please let me know where I can find that information? I would like to have as much of that information together when I start the application.

Thanks again!

mrsbean

Post by mrsbean » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Please take a look at the following link:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... settlement

Here is what I have submitted to support my settlement application as a wife of a British citizen:

- Proof of my husbands citizenship/right to live in the UK (copy of bio page of his passport); you will need to submit a copy of your residence permit, visas, etc. - they have to be able to establish that you are "present and settled in the UK" YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED IT TO FILL OUT APPLICATION

- My passport and all old passports previously used (expired, in maiden name, etc) - they will accept ORIGINALS only - and if you can't produce an old passport they want to know why that's the case - and will need a certified copy/copies. Also copies of all "used" pages in old passports as they can keep anything that you don't provide a copy of (anything original that you want back needs to have a copy)

- A proof of MY knowledge of English - but if you're a U.S. citizen, then just submitting your passport will be enough proof.

- AN ORIGINAL MARRIAGE LICENSE in English. BECAUSE YOU'RE APPLYING FOR A FIANCE VISA - THIS WILL NOT BE THE CASE. BUT YOU HAVE TO PROVE THAT YOU HAVE A CLEAR INTENT TO MARRY IN BRITAIN WITHIN 6 MONTHS FOLLOWING THE DECISION ON APPLICATION. SO FOR YOU, IT WILL BE WEDDING PLANS, INVITATIONS, CHURCH BOOKING, ETC. OR IF ABSENT, JUST CLEAR INTENT TO MARRY

- My bank statements for the last 6 months (checking, savings accounts)

- My husband's bank statements for the last 6 months

- My brokerage account statements for the last 6 months (investments)

- My husband's brokerage account statements for the last 6 months (investments)

- My husband's P60 for the last 2 years (2009/2010 and 2010/2011)

- My tax return for 2010 (Form 1040A for me)

- A letter from my husband's employer confirming his employment, the length of such employment, whether it's full time or part time, and his annual compensation

- My husband's payslips for the last year

- A letter from my employer confirming my past employment, the length of such employment, whether it was full time or par time, and my salary

- My payslips for the last year

- My husband's lease agreement (valid for another 11 months). YOU NEED TO PROVE THAT YOU HAVE AN ADEQUATE ACCOMMODATION IN THE U.K., SO YOU MUST HAVE A U.K. ADDRESS AT WHICH YOU WILL RESIDE AND A PROOF THAT YOU CAN LIVE THERE. YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE THIS TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION - THEY ASK FOR IT.

- A letter form my husband's landlord confirming that he does not object to me living with my husband in the rented property

- Photos of us together (tons and tons of photos)

- Photos of our marriage ceremony (they particularly like to see those photos most of all) - YOU, NATURALLY, WON'T HAVE THOSE

- Proof of constant contact (copies of emails - 2 years worth, skype conversations, birthday cards, notes, copy of text messages, and phone bills detailing the outgoing and incoming calls)

- A letter from my husband stating that he supports my application

- A letter from me explaining the nature of our relationship: where and how we met, how long we dated, how often we saw each other, how he proposed, why we got married, why we decided that I should apply instead of him moving to be with me in my home country, etc)

That's about all of it. REMEMBER they want ORIGINAL documents only! Falsifying any documents is a crime and will result in being banned from the UK for 10 years!

I had a 4" and another 1" binders full of documents to submit - complete with copies of all originals I wanted to receive back. So, that's a lot of stuff, but really it's better be safe than sorry.

I wish you best of luck with this process and the relationship in general. It's a scary and exciting time.

hredderson

Post by hredderson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Thank you again SO much for the information!! Incredibly helpful. I knew it would be a lot of information to compile so I am glad to get a head start on it before I actually begin the online application.

Thank you!!!

hredderson

Post by hredderson » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:12 pm

mrsbean wrote:Please take a look at the following link:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... settlement

Here is what I have submitted to support my settlement application as a wife of a British citizen:

- Proof of my husbands citizenship/right to live in the UK (copy of bio page of his passport); you will need to submit a copy of your residence permit, visas, etc. - they have to be able to establish that you are "present and settled in the UK" YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED IT TO FILL OUT APPLICATION

- My passport and all old passports previously used (expired, in maiden name, etc) - they will accept ORIGINALS only - and if you can't produce an old passport they want to know why that's the case - and will need a certified copy/copies. Also copies of all "used" pages in old passports as they can keep anything that you don't provide a copy of (anything original that you want back needs to have a copy)

- A proof of MY knowledge of English - but if you're a U.S. citizen, then just submitting your passport will be enough proof.

- AN ORIGINAL MARRIAGE LICENSE in English. BECAUSE YOU'RE APPLYING FOR A FIANCE VISA - THIS WILL NOT BE THE CASE. BUT YOU HAVE TO PROVE THAT YOU HAVE A CLEAR INTENT TO MARRY IN BRITAIN WITHIN 6 MONTHS FOLLOWING THE DECISION ON APPLICATION. SO FOR YOU, IT WILL BE WEDDING PLANS, INVITATIONS, CHURCH BOOKING, ETC. OR IF ABSENT, JUST CLEAR INTENT TO MARRY

- My bank statements for the last 6 months (checking, savings accounts)

- My husband's bank statements for the last 6 months

- My brokerage account statements for the last 6 months (investments)

- My husband's brokerage account statements for the last 6 months (investments)

- My husband's P60 for the last 2 years (2009/2010 and 2010/2011)

- My tax return for 2010 (Form 1040A for me)

- A letter from my husband's employer confirming his employment, the length of such employment, whether it's full time or part time, and his annual compensation

- My husband's payslips for the last year

- A letter from my employer confirming my past employment, the length of such employment, whether it was full time or par time, and my salary

- My payslips for the last year

- My husband's lease agreement (valid for another 11 months). YOU NEED TO PROVE THAT YOU HAVE AN ADEQUATE ACCOMMODATION IN THE U.K., SO YOU MUST HAVE A U.K. ADDRESS AT WHICH YOU WILL RESIDE AND A PROOF THAT YOU CAN LIVE THERE. YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE THIS TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION - THEY ASK FOR IT.

- A letter form my husband's landlord confirming that he does not object to me living with my husband in the rented property

- Photos of us together (tons and tons of photos)

- Photos of our marriage ceremony (they particularly like to see those photos most of all) - YOU, NATURALLY, WON'T HAVE THOSE

- Proof of constant contact (copies of emails - 2 years worth, skype conversations, birthday cards, notes, copy of text messages, and phone bills detailing the outgoing and incoming calls)

- A letter from my husband stating that he supports my application

- A letter from me explaining the nature of our relationship: where and how we met, how long we dated, how often we saw each other, how he proposed, why we got married, why we decided that I should apply instead of him moving to be with me in my home country, etc)

That's about all of it. REMEMBER they want ORIGINAL documents only! Falsifying any documents is a crime and will result in being banned from the UK for 10 years!

I had a 4" and another 1" binders full of documents to submit - complete with copies of all originals I wanted to receive back. So, that's a lot of stuff, but really it's better be safe than sorry.

I wish you best of luck with this process and the relationship in general. It's a scary and exciting time.
Thank you again for all of the information! One more specific question I have is regarding bank/financial statements. What format did you provide these in? Were they printout from your online access? Did you go into the bank to request them? I cannot find anything that details the format required so any advice you have would be appreciated! Thank you!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Bank statements should be original. If you are submitting online statements these will only be accepted if the copies are stamped and signed by the issuing bank.

hredderson

Post by hredderson » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Casa wrote:Bank statements should be original. If you are submitting online statements these will only be accepted if the copies are stamped and signed by the issuing bank.
Thank you!