ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming child benefit where to apply & timelines

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

passport-uk
Newly Registered

Claiming child benefit where to apply & timelines

Post by passport-uk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:45 am

Hi,
I am on ILR & Citizenship application in process.I want to apply for Child benefit & need to know
1 What documents i need to submit (Childs birth certificate,passport & Online application)
2 Can i apply in person at HMRC office in my city.Which number to call & book appointment?
3 Typically how much time it takes to apply & start getting benefit?Typically how long will they keep original documents Birth Certificate,pasports etc?

4 I plan to send pre-paid special delivery docs so they can send my originals back as I need to apply for my sons british passport as soon as they have seen these?Would HMRC return the originals earlier using pre-paid envelop i send or they will keep it untill they have processed benefit?

Much appreciate your guidance & time on this.
Thanks
Last edited by passport-uk on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

passport-uk
Newly Registered

Post by passport-uk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:05 pm

does anybody know & willing to help me please :D

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Go to the HMRC website .... www.hmrc.gov.uk ..... click on Child Benefit .... all is explained, including how to claim.
John

passport-uk
Newly Registered

Post by passport-uk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks a lot jon for your help.
yep saw that :-( i need to know more about timelines as i need to apply for passport for the child in few weeks,Actually I should have already applied for benefit when i got ILR in May-2010 but i didnt.Thanks to this forum now i know i should have so wondering what to apply first ,PP(hopefully approval will take couple more weeks & benefits can be claimed during the wait). or really wait & loose one more month on benefits,get his pp first & then worry about benefits.
What do experts say?

pads

Post by pads » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:26 pm

All you need to claim child benefit is your childs birth certificate and fill out the form.

Typically you should receive this within a couple of weeks and get his documents back at the same time, give or take a few days, that's how long it took for my grand daughters benefits.

Love pads x

passport-uk
Newly Registered

Post by passport-uk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 pm

pads,thanks a lot for answering my q,that reassures me & i've sent the application yesterday.Anything i can do to help please let me know.

pads

Post by pads » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:49 pm

For his passport you need to send his birth certificate and the british citizen's birth certificate also.

If you use Post office check and send you should get this back within two weeks as well.

Love pads x