ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pearson TOEIC ESOL IELTS Eng Test - Reviews and Advice

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shadhk

Pearson TOEIC ESOL IELTS Eng Test - Reviews and Advice

Post by shadhk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:26 am

Share your personnel experiences and stories...so all the practical information will be in one topic.

Here is mine. my wife has given PEARSON General A1 level test on 28 may 2011 in Hong Kong.

They will issue result on their webiste on 25 july and pass certicate will be issue on 2nd of September for test taken in month of May.

My review for PTE General A1 level. This english test is extremely easy, the speaking test is about 65 seconds, and writing and listening is about one hour. In Hong Kong it is less expensive compared to ESOL and IELTS, but little expensive then TOICE.

In Hong Kong PTE General cost £65 approx. It is fully approved by UKBA

Good - Very Easy, you can pass it without professional tutor help.

Bad - UKBA requirement for this test is On-line printout of Score Report and certificate. A1 level test result take almost two months, and certificate almost four months to be released. Only 3 test in a year.

Important Note: The above test is PTE General Level A1. It was acceptable before 5th May. But in May 2011 UKBA remove this test from their approve test list, and now ONLY PTE Academic is acceptable.
Last edited by shadhk on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

shadhk

Good News....!!

Post by shadhk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:14 pm

I just notice that UKBA has modified the document requirement with application for PEARSON TEST, Printout of on-line Score Report ONLY, no need to provide certificate. And also down graded minimum grade from 30 to 24 marks for A1 level.

twinbanj
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Pearson TOICE ESOL IELTS Eng Test - Reviews and Advice

Post by twinbanj » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:53 am

shadhk wrote:Share your personnel experiences and stories...so all the practical information will be in one topic.

Here is mine. my wife has given PEARSON General A1 level test on 28 may 2011 in Hong Kong.

They will issue result on their webiste on 25 july and pass certicate will be issue on 2nd of September for test taken in month of May.

My review for PTE General A1 level. This english test is extremely easy, the speaking test is about 65 seconds, and writing and listening is about one hour. In Hong Kong it is less expensive compared to ESOL and IELTS, but little expensive then TOICE.

Bad - UKBA requirement for this test is On-line printout of Score Report and certificate. A1 level test result take almost two months, and certificate almost four months to be released. Only 3 test in a year.
Didn't the accepted tests list say that the PTE academic test was accepted from pearson? I didn't know the PTE General was also accepted.

shade00
Member of Standing

Re: Good News....!!

Post by shade00 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:02 pm

shadhk wrote:I just notice that UKBA has modified the document requirement with application for PEARSON TEST, Printout of on-line Score Report ONLY, no need to provide certificate. And also down graded minimum grade from 30 to 24 marks for A1 level.
My wife will be doing the person test soon. She previously did CIELT which isn't on the approved list anymore after 17th july.

shadhk

Re: Pearson TOICE ESOL IELTS Eng Test - Reviews and Advice

Post by shadhk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:31 am

twinbanj wrote:
shadhk wrote:Share your personnel experiences and stories...so all the practical information will be in one topic.

Didn't the accepted tests list say that the PTE academic test was accepted from pearson? I didn't know the PTE General was also accepted.
Yes you are right it says PTE Academic, I think for the LEVEL A1 the PTE General should also be fine.....but its have to be confirm with UKBA.

shadhk

Post by shadhk » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:44 am

My inquiry:

Hi,

My wife had taken PEARSON PTE General LEVEL 1A English Test, and the result will be issued online on 25 July. My wife register for test with full advance payment for this test before 18the April 2011 deadline, and she took test on 14 and 21 May.

Above test removed from the new list of approved English language tests.

I would like to request you please kindly confirm with UKBA visa officer that would PEARSON PTE General Level A1 english test still be accepted? because it is issued by UKBA accredited PEARSON/EDEXEL, and according to PEARSON this test is designed to be aligned to the descriptors in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF), A1 to C2.

Thank you again
Best regards
Shad

--------------------------------------------------------

Two different responses to same question. First one is from UKBA UK and second one is from Philipino uk VAC

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please be advised that if at the time your wife took the test the college was an accredited one she can submit the certificate however, if it was not then UKBA will not accept the certificate.

Your wife can meet the requirement in one of the following ways;

by providing evidence that they have passed an English test (speaking and listening) at level A1 or above of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) with one of UKBA’s approved test providers, or

by being a national of a majority English speaking country, or

by having an academic qualification that is confirmed by UK Naric to be equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree, a Master's degree or a PHD obtained in the UK which was taught in English.

by having an academic qualification that is confirmed by UK Naric to be equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree, a Master's degree or a PHD obtained in one of our list of majority English speaking countries (but not Canada)

by having an academic qualification that is confirmed by UK Naric to be equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree, a Master's degree or a PHD not obtained in the UK or a majority English speaking country which UK NARIC can verify was taught in English or can be verified by other evidence

For further information, please visit the UK Border Agency website at:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... e-partners

Yours faithfully,

XXXXXXXXXl
Immigration Group
UK Border Agency

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr,
Greetings from UK VAC!

If your wife will be lodging her visa application by 18 July 2011, she will need to provide an english test result from any of the accredited testing centres with an appropriate test module. If she took the general module whereas it is required for you to submit an Academic module by the 18th, then you should comply, otherwise, the officer will not consider your application.

Sincerely,
VFS Helpline UK VAC
www.vfs-uk-ph.com

shadhk

PEARSON ACADEMIC

Post by shadhk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:00 pm

My wife took PEARSON ACADEMIC, test on 21 July 2011 in Hong Kong. UKBA pass marks requirement is 24 speaking listening, writing, and reading.

Unfortunetly she got 27 in speaking and 22 in listening. :cry: :cry:

Result available within just one day.

This english test is extremely difficult for non-academic and non-professional propose, the full test is about 90 minutes, in Hong Kong PTE ACADEMIC cost £125. It is fully approved by UKBA

Good - Result available within 1-5 days. Very very quick.

Bad - Very very difficult if your english level is beginner level. Expensive. The PTE ACADEMIC is only for professional and academic people e.g students, teachers etc

shade00
Member of Standing

Re: PEARSON ACADEMIC

Post by shade00 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:18 am

shadhk wrote:My wife took PEARSON ACADEMIC, test on 21 July 2011 in Hong Kong. UKBA pass marks requirement is 24 speaking listening, writing, and reading.

This english test is extremely difficult for non-academic and non-professional propose, the full test is about 90 minutes, in Hong Kong PTE ACADEMIC cost £125. It is fully approved by UKBA

Bad - Very very difficult if your english level is beginner level. Expensive. The PTE ACADEMIC is only for professional and academic people e.g students, teachers etc
That has got me slighty worried now because my wifes English is not the best. She passed an english A1 course which was on the old list but has to re-do her test with a provider from the new list. I thought PTE would be a good choice but from what you are saying it looks like it could be abit of a struggle. Is your wife going to re-take her test?

I had a look at the pearson A1 test samples and it does look pretty tough for a begginer. I just pray all goes well.

shadhk

Re: PEARSON ACADEMIC

Post by shadhk » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:57 am

shade00 wrote:
shadhk wrote:My wife took PEARSON ACADEMIC, test on 21 July 2011 in Hong Kong. UKBA pass marks requirement is 24 speaking listening, writing, and reading.

That has got me slighty worried now because my wifes English is not the best. She passed an english A1 course which was on the old list but has to re-do her test with a provider from the new list. I thought PTE would be a good choice but from what you are saying it looks like it could be abit of a struggle. Is your wife going to re-take her test?

I had a look at the pearson A1 test samples and it does look pretty tough for a begginer. I just pray all goes well.
Yes PTE Academic is difficult, and its not for A1 level of english student. We are very disappointed because my wife fail test by just two marks in listening, and she still trying to overcome disappointment. As its not cheap, we will go for it again with some more in house tuition.

Btw when is your wife test date, and make sure it is PTE Academic, because PTE General is no long accepted.

shade00
Member of Standing

Post by shade00 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:30 am

She has not sorted a test date yet. She will undertake a course which will lead to the test. The more help she gets the merrier.
She passed previously with CIELT A1 but it was taken out from the list.

Yeah i have noticed its PTE academic now. I think the structure of the test is really difficult but scoring for A1 looks achievable with some hard work. That test is really for students and its a shame UKBA have taken out the general test. Score mark for A1 is 24 i think on all sections. I browsed through a practise test which seems to be too difficult for a beginer.

Does your wife feel confident she could pass it second time around?
Also could the PTE test be taken anytime of the year or is it at set intervals.

shadhk

Post by shadhk » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:16 am

Cant say about my wife confidence, but she try her best. yes PTE Academic is available any time of the year in most countries. But I suggest check with your intended test center.

shade00
Member of Standing

Post by shade00 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Yup will do that. I will be submitting her visa next year so for these few months i think its best if she studies hard.

sanjuuk
Newly Registered

Re: Pearson TOEIC ESOL IELTS Eng Test - Reviews and Advice

Post by sanjuuk » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:15 pm

PTE Academic Test of English.

Dear test takers,

I Just want to inform about my experience on PTE exam which i would say was worst. PTE exam centres donot have any provision for confirming that the exam you appear in would be free from any disturbance.

I had appeared for exam and there was huge lot of disturbance. I intimated the Test administrator and she apologized rather than ensuring that there should not be any hurdles /disturbance for test takers.

I had logged a complaint with their grievances cell too, However no luck and they dont even bother to admit the issue and just concluding that nothing wrong was found in the test as per the investigation.

Please be aware that if there is any such incident, Stop the test right away and get the things in written, Else you will be left with no choice except paying another 155 GBP for reattempt.

Prefer going for IELTS.

Regards
Sanjeev Arora

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Pearson TOEIC ESOL IELTS Eng Test - Reviews and Advice

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:58 pm

sanjuuk wrote:PTE Academic Test of English.

Dear test takers,

I Just want to inform about my experience on PTE exam which i would say was worst. PTE exam centres donot have any provision for confirming that the exam you appear in would be free from any disturbance.

I had appeared for exam and there was huge lot of disturbance. I intimated the Test administrator and she apologized rather than ensuring that there should not be any hurdles /disturbance for test takers.

I had logged a complaint with their grievances cell too, However no luck and they dont even bother to admit the issue and just concluding that nothing wrong was found in the test as per the investigation.

Please be aware that if there is any such incident, Stop the test right away and get the things in written, Else you will be left with no choice except paying another 155 GBP for reattempt.

Prefer going for IELTS.

Regards
Sanjeev Arora
Any particular reason why you have chosen to post in a topic that is 5 years old and which refers to English test that are no longer relevant?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.