ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) - Section 5 English language requirement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rrp

FLR(M) - Section 5 English language requirement

Post by rrp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi,

Previously I was on Tier-2 and my wife is on Tier-2 dependent. Last week I got my ILR and as my wife has not completed 2 years in UK she is going to apply under FLR(M) this week.

I am confused about the section-5 English language requirement in the FLR(M) form. My wife has completed her B tech degree in India and she has completed Life in the UK test in UK. Please advise if she can use the LIU test certificate for english language requirement or does she need to get the certificate from NARIC?

Requesting your help on this.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: FLR(M) - Section 5 English language requirement

Post by geriatrix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:02 pm

rrp wrote:Please advise if she can use the LIU test certificate for english language requirement
The immigration rules and the policy guidance do no mention LITUK test result as acceptable evidence of English language requirements for partners (LITUK test doesn't assess speaking or listening ability of the applicant).
rrp wrote:does she need to get the certificate from NARIC?
Read new English language requirement for partners.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rrp

Post by rrp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:23 pm

thanks....In the LIUK certificate it states that ''Your level of competence meets the required standard for naturalisation or ILR, no further proof is needed'', does this mean LIUK test is above ESOL?

As I mentioned earlier my wife has completed bachelor's degree from india and i checked in the point based calculator and got 30 points for that. please advice if i can use the degree certificate for this. also let me know if i need to produce the original certificate or provisional certificate?

litu1

Post by litu1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:11 pm

rrp wrote:thanks....In the LIUK certificate it states that ''Your level of competence meets the required standard for naturalisation or ILR, no further proof is needed'', does this mean LIUK test is above ESOL?

As I mentioned earlier my wife has completed bachelor's degree from india and i checked in the point based calculator and got 30 points for that. please advice if i can use the degree certificate for this. also let me know if i need to produce the original certificate or provisional certificate?
Dear rrp,
Either you should get UKNARIC certificate or take a UKBA recognised English test. Its a very basic test, although my wife completed BSc degree from back home, we didn't bother to send the certificate to NARIC but took the test. we found it easier than get a certificate from NARIC.
Could you please tell me what have you answered for the question on SECTION 7.1 ?
thanks
Last edited by litu1 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:12 pm

rrp wrote:In the LIUK certificate it states that ''Your level of competence meets the required standard for naturalisation or ILR, no further proof is needed''
A FLR(M) application is neither for naturalisation nor for ILR, but for leave to remain. And for leave to remain application as spouse of a settled person, one must fulfil the English language requirements (which LITUK test certificate doesn't state it fulfils).

For answer(s) to other queries, click on the link given above and read the information given in the document. Or wait for others to respond.

rrp

Post by rrp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:34 am

I answered yes for 7.1. Please let me know where I can find the list of the exam centres for ESOL? Is there any chance that I can write the exam today or tomorrow as I am having an appointment on Thrusday.

Unfortunately I am having the provisional bachlore degree certificate with me at the moment.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:19 pm

rrp wrote:Please let me know where I can find the list of the exam centres for ESOL?
See New English language requirement for partners.

rrp

Post by rrp » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Can any one please confirm that the degree certificate will be enough for the english requirement? The college is showing in the point based calculator.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:07 am

rrp wrote:Can any one please confirm that the degree certificate will be enough for the english requirement? The college is showing in the point based calculator.
I think you will find it is not the college but the qualification you should check and see if points awarded for english . If the university is not in a country where english is the main language .

rrp

Post by rrp » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Thanks for the information. Yes the Degree is listed in the point based calculator. Please advise if the original degree certificate will be enough to prove the ESOL requirement or do I need any additional letter from UKNARIC.

rrp

Post by rrp » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Dear All, Can I please request you to reply to the above query. Thanks in advance.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:51 am

Did you make an effort to read the FLR(M) guidance, before getting down to reading / filling in the application form? Suggest that you do it.

This said, see also Amendments to applications for ILR.

rrp

Post by rrp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:52 pm

The information in the website is not very clear as it says the degree should be deemed by UKNARIC, hence I thought may be additional letter is required along with the original degree certificate which I wanted to clarify.

Any ways this is to inform you that if you have a original degree certificate and this is showing in point based calculator then you should be eligible for English language requirement and no additional information is needed.

surender
Newly Registered

FLR(M)

Post by surender » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi RRP,

I also need to apply FLR(m) Spouse visa for my wife, She has bachelors and Masters degree from India and it shows on Point based calculator, In such case do i still need to get certified by NARIC for English language Requirement.

Thanks in advance

mrsbean

Post by mrsbean » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Just because the degree shows on the Points-based calculator it doesn't mean that it's certified by UK NARIC as one that was taught in English. The maximum amount of points awarded for English language is 10 and it's the only amount of points you get for it. You either get 10 points on the English language or you don't. Points based calculator also assesses educational background as in "education as general" that's where the amount of points can differ but English language requirement is completely different from that.

Basically, a rule of thumb is "if your degree was not earned in a country which is predominately English-speaking (i.e. United States, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, etc.), you will not meet the English requirement unless UK NARIC will confirm that the degree was indeed taught in English (a lengthy process)"

Here are a couple of links, if you want more detail:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... equirement
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... 4aannexelt

Good luck to you!

rrp

Post by rrp » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:46 am

Please follow the below link

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... icants.pdf

(How can I check if my Bachelors degree meets the criteria for the English language requirement before I make an application? )

I had the same confusion while applying for my wife Visa. You only need the Bachelor degree if this is showing in the point based calculator. I also provided the mark sheet where it is written 'Mode of teaching in this university is English'.

Hope this helps.

neverfail
Newly Registered

Post by neverfail » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:37 am

I also provided the mark sheet where it is written 'Mode of teaching in this university is English'.
you attached a copy of it or just entered the marks?

rrp

Post by rrp » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:36 pm

I attached a copy of the Degree mark sheet where it mentioned that ' Mode of instructions for this university in english'