ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when can spouse to US citizen aplply for citizenship?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

morsan
Newly Registered

when can spouse to US citizen aplply for citizenship?

Post by morsan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:17 am

I was told that I need to wait five years, but someone said only three years if you are a spouse to a US citizen. I cannot find any information on the website that supports this claim. Is it true? And if so, can you point me to the appropriate website, and/or quote.

Skyline_GTR
Newly Registered

3 years - for sure

Post by Skyline_GTR » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:34 pm

I have been informed by American Embassy stuff:

- once I get married with US citizen, I will have to wait 1 year and 9 months in the order to remove my conditional status from my Green Card, and then once we are in the marriage 2 years and 9 months, I will be eligible to apply for citizenship.

100% sure this is valid. You can keep searching but this is what I am going to do in 9 months.

Question for you - do you know do I have to have green card in my hands in the order to apply for US citizenship?

Tnx

JAJ
Australia

Re: when can spouse to US citizen aplply for citizenship?

Post by JAJ » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:16 am

morsan wrote:I was told that I need to wait five years, but someone said only three years if you are a spouse to a US citizen. I cannot find any information on the website that supports this claim. Is it true? And if so, can you point me to the appropriate website, and/or quote.
It's true. http://www.cis.gov